Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent wicks and calling

Old 11-19-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Scent wicks and calling

Like I have said befor, I am new to hunting this year and have fallen hard for my new love. I have been out 3 times since the gun opener here in Michigan, but have seen nothing. I did have a buck circle me for about an hour making rubs. He even made a rub about 30 yards behind my blind on a tree that I had been using to take a leek on all day!! Go figure. Anyways, It's been right around 30F on all my hunts. Does the estrus urine I'm using in my wicks freeze? How ofter should I re-dip them to keep the scent fresh and strong? Should I rinse out my wicks after each hunt to get the old urine out? And I also just bought an 8-in-1 call. It sounds nice for the grunts, but the estrus bleat sounds more like a party noise maker. Is it meant to sound like that? And when and how should I use my calls? I still have alot to learn about my new passion, but I am very willing and excited to learn. Plus, any more tips you might have for a new hunter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:43 AM

Default RE: Scent wicks and calling

Anybody?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:04 AM

Heres a tip, never give up. If you get skunked for a week straight don't give up. Keep pursuing them deer and pretty soon you will prevail the victor
Old 11-21-2007, 06:51 AM

Thats what I'm doing. Hopefully, I will have some luck this Thanksgiving weekend
Old 11-21-2007, 08:40 AM

Mine haxe never froze. I clean mine at the end of the season. The only call i use is a grunt call and ues it very sparingly. usally when i have a deer that will not come into range. Good Luck keep trying.