HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Sould This Buck Be Culled? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/218427-sould-buck-culled.html)

Jack_Bauer 11-19-2007 08:20 AM

Sould This Buck Be Culled?

I got these pics off my Stealth Cam yesterday in Eastern NC and was wondering if I should cull this deer out because of his right side horn. It looks like the left side has 3 points with no brow tine and the right side only a fork with 2 points. The left side looks good for his age but not sure if the right side horn will develop normally next year. I would guess that the deer is about 2-3 years old. I've gotten shots of a few 6 points, 4 points and cow horns, and spikes in the area. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Jack_Bauer 11-19-2007 08:20 AM

RE: Sould This Buck Be Culled?

Another pic of above deer.

rybohunter 11-19-2007 08:23 AM

Depends if you believed in the theory of cull bucks. Personally I don’t. If it worked all those big ranches in texas would no longer need to still be shooting cull bucks. I don’t think enough is known about deer genetics to say for sure what type of impact it can have one way or the other.

Jack_Bauer 11-19-2007 08:29 AM

Not so much about genetics but if that right side doesn't mature to a normal configuration what is the good of that type deer in my area eating corn and competing for does. In my mind that's a cull buck but would you think his right side horn develops to a normal configuration in the years to come?

Lanse couche couche 11-19-2007 08:37 AM

As long as that odd-shapped horn doesn't effect the taste of the venison, I wouldn't let it bother me.[8D]

Jack_Bauer 11-19-2007 08:40 AM

I'm looking to produce good sized racks no so much about meat.

buckhunter14 11-19-2007 08:41 AM

Shoot!!

_Dan 11-19-2007 08:49 AM

He looks like a young buck....let him go.

_Dan 11-19-2007 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Depends if you believed in the theory of cull bucks. Personally I don’t. If it worked all those big ranches in texas would no longer need to still be shooting cull bucks. I don’t think enough is known about deer genetics to say for sure what type of impact it can have one way or the other.
Spot on....I just didn't take the time to type it out.

IAhuntr 11-19-2007 09:30 AM

There was a very good article I read a while back about deer genetics, might have been by Kroll, but in any case, in a long term study with quite a large number of deer involved, they found thatby age 5-6 years the spike and forked 1.5 year-old bucks produced just as good racks as the basket eight pointers. Now, it's hard to say whether or not your buck in question has a malformation on that side, or if is just weak for this year due to development. I'd let him have another year before making a decision as he may very well even out on that side.