Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

good deer rifle to buy

Old 11-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: good deer rifle to buy

Actually Ruger makes their own barrels...Back when they had a tang safety they did have barrels made from other manufacturers, I have a 1980 model .243 that I bought new, it will keep all shots inside a quarter and 100 yards, my youngest brother has it's twin, in .270, it groups within 1 1/4 inch, no problem...Ruger makes a good bolt action....
Old 11-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

A savage 110 or one of its variants will do you well if budget is a concern. That rifle has been around for fifty years or so and has a reputation of being a very accurate rifle for low cost. Plain jane and even a little on the ugly side, but it works. If you are really budget conscious, the Steven 200 is basically the same rifle without the Accutrigger Savage introduced a few years ago to rave reviews.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Lots of opinions on this matter.... I shoot a Weatherby. because I like the best.
Remington is a very nice gun... always has been always will be. You could never go wrong with a remington.
I am not familiar with the Savage but my brother-in-law shoots one... he loves it.

IMO a .270 is a great deer caliber. But then again so is a .30-06, 308, 7mm mag.. etc....

Get what you like... all are great guns and will kill deer.
Good luck!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:50 PM

I love my 25-06. The recoil is very mild and it is also plenty deadly on deer.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

A good gun shop will do a trigger job at the time of purchase and usually mount and boresight a scope if purchased there. On a budget, the savage is a good choice; as the others will all be around $500 just for the gun. I just bought a new stainlees composite Ruger this year in 7mm wsm and it $450. Most modern rifles just depend on how they feel to YOU. Ruger, Browning, Remington, Tikka, Savage; the choices are there as long as feels good to you. As for calibers i would go with 243 or 270. Both offer greats bullet choices for deer and varmints.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 AM

I love my 243 it is light weight good gun and hardly no recoil,and also dose the job
Old 11-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would actually go to a gun shop and try to find a used browningA bolt with a decent scope on it. Remember when buying a gun you get what you pay for. I like to keep every rifle i buy and never sale them, and i have a hand-me-down browning BAR safari 308 that is over 25 years old andi still hunt with it occasionally. A great gunwill last you a lifetime

If you get a remington just dont get a automatic, thats the only time i strayed away from brownings and that gun hung up from the first 5 bullets that were shot through it to sight the scope in.. they are junk!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

remington 700 [/align]
Old 11-21-2007, 05:02 PM

Thompson Center Encore. Great Gun
Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 PM

I bought a 30-06 savage 110 package for about $430 a few years ago. It included the scope, mounts and sling. It is a real accurate gun. It has a wood stock and good action. If I had more money, I think I'd buy a different scope. One thing I like is that it shoots real well, but since it didn't cost a fortune, I don't feel like I need to worry about it. Today and Sat. I sat through two snow storms with it, orIwalk through all types of brush etc.and I don't worry about it. I held one of those $900 rifles at the store recently. I'll admit, it felt more balanced than my savage, but for something that I'm only shooting at game a few times a year, I don't think I could justify that much money.

Quick Reply: good deer rifle to buy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.