HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   First deer ever. (kinda funny story) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/218193-first-deer-ever-kinda-funny-story.html)

SS1304 11-17-2007 04:59 PM

First deer ever. (kinda funny story)

A long time ago I used to go hunting with my uncle good times but never really hunted since I was little. Well the g/f, well soon to be wife, has family that has 300 acers almost ALL wooded, just two of us hunt it. Well her cousin-in-law, Bruce,has been hunting it for a few years and has gotten some good size deer out of it. Well I have een talking to Bruce and though well hell I am going to be back into it. I went and got a bow and picked up the g/f one as well. Got my tags for both archery and shotgun. Went bowhunting about 7 times seen a few deer that woudl be nice but were a little out of range. Shot at a nice 6 pointer and when I released the arrow it hit a small branch and fell under him. He took off grunting and snorting at me. Pretty funny to see it since it has beenA LONG time since I went hunting. Well shotgun season started yesterday, 11/16/07, and I went outand sat in the woods all day didn't see anything despitethe 100 or so shots all around me. WellI was hunting on the side of the field on the ajoining property and they probally shot somethign and were riding4 wheelersaround the edge of the timeber. I gotpissed and went into the house to warmup, since it was freeking cold, andto get my climber. Well I go further into the woods were we have seen them running before and climb up a tree. I sat there for about um......7 hours NOTHING.Kinda weird since it all goes into a little valley and there is a small creek in the middle.

Well today I get into thesame timber where I sat and just thought Imight see something. Well I get my climberon the same tree and the lower portion of the climber keeps getting cought on the bark and wont go up with the climber. I start to get pissed cause this isn't working. Well along with getting pissed I start getting hot and sweaty GREAT!. Well I take my stand down and move to a different tree. So I get it attached to the tree and get all set climb up into it and bumb the seat of the climber and it falls smacking me on the head. I am like what the hell is going on today???? Well I finally get up in the stand and sat there for about 30 minutes and hear somethign off to the left. Well I look over and it is a nice 8 pointer. I get the shotgun up and take a look hum...... not bad pretty good size I'll shoot it. It starts walking closer and closer nerves getting up since it has been SOOOO long since I have been hunting and never shot a deer. Well he is about 30 yards out so I switch it off of safty and slowly pull the trigger till i hear BOOM!! I see him take off running and he ran about 40 yards and stopped. My heart was pumping and after reading several several post on here I sat back down on my stand and watched him. He fell over and just layed there till he died. What a rush it has been a long time since I have had that much fun.Now I am going to be heading back out into the woods once shotgun season is over to do some bow hunting.

Well hell I have probally bored you guys enough with the story here are the pictures.

Here is one of me field dressign the deer. He like we say at work you catch it you clean it.

SS1304 11-17-2007 05:00 PM

RE: First deer ever. (kinda funny story)

Oh forgot to mention that he weighed 140 field dressed.

curth83 11-17-2007 05:33 PM

very nice

Bake North 11-18-2007 08:13 PM

Nice deer feels good to get back to the woods after a long layoff doesen't it.

SS1304 11-18-2007 08:31 PM

Ya it does. It has been a huge stress release since I can get out there and be by myself and just sit and relax. Definatly going to be hunting more now.

Bake North 11-18-2007 08:41 PM

I took about a 13year layoff then got back into it last year (shot 2 deer)but like you said just getting back into the woods.Our shotgun hunt just ended(didn't shoot anything)But our muzzleloader season opens Dec3.Can't wait!

elkhuntinmt_10 11-19-2007 12:25 AM

not bad.. good lookin buck.. congrats

Dixon 11-19-2007 04:15 AM

Congrats - nice looking buck.

Steve F.in MD 11-19-2007 06:34 AM

Good story. That's a nice deer. Thanks for posting.

trailinone 11-19-2007 06:44 AM

Congrats. The satisfaction and relaxing down time makes hunting truly rewarding.