Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifle Opening and the New Guy

Old 11-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rifle Opening and the New Guy

This is my first hunting season. I have been out a couple of times with a friend of mine who has about 20 years experience. He has shown me a few of the spots he goes. Ihave yet to see another vehicle or hunter during bow and muzzle loader in those areas. Tomorrow is opening day for rifle. I have not gotten a hold of him to see if he going out. It makes things a little easier with his guidance. Not sure how busy it will be out there. I am looking for some input on etiquette and where to set up in reference to how "busy" it may be out there and how close I am to someone if at all......Or should I give it a few days and then head back to the areas.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:06 PM

Default RE: Rifle Opening and the New Guy

Walk in at 5 AM and sit where ever you want to sit.

Do not get discouraged if you see other hunters. Deer will not move much during the day unless they are pushed your way.

Sit tight and wait them out.

Forget about going back to the truck for lunch or to get warm.

If you are doing that, then you can figure that there will be 10 other guys that will also have that on their agenda and sooner or later - they will kick out a buck and if you sit tight - you will be the one in the right place to harvest it.

Your best bet is to be in the woods all day. Forget about that TV crap you see where the hunters sits in a blind and goes back to the camp for lunch and a nap.

You have to pay your due's if you want to harvest a nice deer.