Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting lease

Old 11-16-2007, 12:54 PM

Default hunting lease

I was wanting to find out how hunting leases work, what the cost is and how is it determined, length of lease, what if any restrictions, advantages or disadvantages, and how would you go about finding them? Thanks
Old 11-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: hunting lease

Most leases go one year at a time, with the option to renew the lease. Different parts of the country have different rates per acre, most of them in our area of south Bama and North Florida run $6 to $10 with some higher. You can write any restrictions in the lease you want to, but it is best to just say all legal game.`
Old 11-16-2007, 03:36 PM

I am a member of a club. They manage all of the lease details. Adding, retaining, and dropping lease by committee. Right now we are at a little over 50k acres total. Each lease is accessed by reservation only and they limit the number of hunters on a property on any given day. I joined a club like this in California when I lived there so I’m sure every state has something similar. The problem I’ve seen on getting a lease with your buddies is that theybring their cousins and extended family. You’ll go out and find them setting in your stand! The clubs have very strict rules on lease access so it’s not a problem. The cost runs around $1,500 per year.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:31 AM

We just signed a lease here in Bama and it is from a logging company. It runs $5 to $6 per acre. If your lucky you can work a deal on it. Because it was late in the season and they only had a few plats left plus the accessability issue (park on the side of the highway) we were able to get 50 acres for $3.00 per acre ($150 for the year) the lease ends at the end of June next year. The land that we got is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Nothing but good hardwoods and a creek. Lots of deer out there too.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

never leased sorry cant help on this one

Happy Hunting!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:35 PM

This subject is fascinating to me! It must depend on where in the country you live. Where do you live?

I live in SW Michigan and hunt my parents 6 acres. I have access to hunt 350 acres around my 6 acres, and could probably get access to more if I asked. But the 6 acres is all I need. If I want to hunt the larger areas I only have to promise to take at least 1 doe.

A lease implies the land owner is doing something for you in exchange for money, but many farmers in SW Michigan need people to remove deer that have been eating their crops, Corn feed deer! Yum![/i] So they consider the removal of a doe as payment for the hunting rights.

I’m guessing in some parts of the country 350 acres isn’t enough because of game concentration? And we in Michigan should count our blessings!

Old 11-29-2007, 05:52 AM

You dont see many leases here in NH either. NH is a "right to hunt state" meaning that any non posted land is open to hunting.Fish and game wants you to ask permission for access , but it is not the law.
We can basicaly drive down the road , see a good spot , pull over , park and hunt it. If the land is near a farm I always stop and ask permission wich has never been denied.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leases vary greatly, so it would be best to find people in your area with a lease and see what the common practice is in that area. The price will vary greatly depending on the amount of land, the hunting prospects in that area and (as with all things) demand. Terms often range anywhere from 1 year to 10 years.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

never leased sorry cant help on this one

Happy Hunting!!!
that was helpful...

from what i've been told around where i am.
a lot of farmers don't like to lease because they like to have more power over there land than the people leasing.

just this past year someone tried to lease the 35 acers i hunt on for 800$
I thought that was a little out of hand myself.