Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Driving a car to your hunt

Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Driving a car to your hunt

How many hunters here drive a car (as opposed to a truck/van/etc) to hunt?

What do you do if you get a deer? Tie him to the roof?

I have seen more than a few pickup trucks with dead deer in the back recently, but I don't think I have ever seen a deer tied to the roof (or hood!) of a car except on TV.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:12 AM

Default RE: Driving a car to your hunt

I would be concerned about the negative image. Little Sally and Bobby start crying when you pass them with Bambi tied to your hood. Now we have two more PETA recruits.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Most car trunks are large enough to hold a deer, I've seen more than one fella at the check station who did ths.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Here's what I used to do before I bought my Tundra...

Old 11-16-2007, 11:39 AM

I have a game tray I use for the back of my SUV. I typically cover the animals with a tarp as to not get any PETA recruits. If all you have is a car, no reason you couldn't get a receiver hitch added to your car and buy a game tray.

I went to college in Vermont for a while at a small liberal arts schools. The local paper once had a picture of a group of "deer" hunters who had come up to hunt from the NYC area. They had a successful hunt and tied their "deer" to the roof of a Mercedes sedan. The roof eventually started to bow from all the weight. I would pay good money to see that picture again and would loved to have asked the guys how they got their "deer" onto the roof.

It was a picture of a big Mercedes, roof bowed in from theweight of their "kill": A big black and white dairy cow.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:03 PM

I would love to see that too! I've listened to and read at least 10 versions of that story in addition to farmers painting “COW” on their livestock. I always labeled those stories as urban legends so any proof otherwise would be welcomed.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

My trunk would certainly hold a deer, as well. Can you imagine tying a buck to the hood? I would hate to see what antlers would do to the paint.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:14 PM

I heard several versions that are probably urban legends as well, but I actually saw this version. Happened near Brattleboro, VT sometime in the fall of 1991. They might even have a copy of the picture somewhere in their photo archives.

They got pulled over by a state trooper on I-91.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:38 PM

Had to put a doe in a two seat Honda Civic CRX once.
Good fit but never could get the blood cleaned out.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

my trunk would work, but I have friends with trucks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.