Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 the arial photo where the big buck is at. where to go? >

the arial photo where the big buck is at. where to go?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

the arial photo where the big buck is at. where to go?

Old 11-15-2007, 10:19 AM

Default the arial photo where the big buck is at. where to go?

here is the arial photo of where im hunting. i posted in another thread how theres sign everywhere from this big buck but not seeing it. id like to hear everybody elses opinion on where yall think i should sit. the field that the rubline leads to never has deer in it during daylight. i can hunt pretty much anywere on the picture other then the red boxes.

white dot-where i hang my stand
red dots- the huge rubs i found
blue dots- the big scrapes
black line- where the trail goes though the cutover and i seen the 2 does

so where yall think this big boy is at? starting saturday morning i got a full week to hunt and any advice would help.

heres the link to the other thread explaining more about the situation http://www.hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=2451575
thanks,
Tommy

Old 11-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: the arial photo where the big buck is at. where to go?

Your stand looks to be in a good place I would just move it over to the west a bit and get closer to the scrap line. He will come out but it will be during the last few minutes of light most likely. Only 30% of scrap activity happens during the daylight hours.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just guessing but here's where I'd set up (yellow)

Old 11-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with both of them. Keep in mind, if this is opening morning of gun season and/or ifyou may have neighbors or other hunters on that property, the scrapes and rubs won't mean a whole heck of a lot. Then you'd want to key on bedding areas, escape routes and the like.

If there's no pressure, the does would probably feed and stage in that opening to the NW and if the rut or even post rut is on, bingo. I like the furthest west blue dot...kind of a pinch point between north and south movement. If you can see out to the field, even better.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the advice to hang in there that you're getting on your other thread is best.

I do have an observation to offer: just east of your stand there is a line of trees that goes generally south and the forks into a "Y."(the "Y" is inverted from the perspective of the photo). Another line of trees, running E by SE, joins the first just east of your stand as well. Are you sure the buck is going through that cutover? It looks like to me you could more or less connect either the rubs or the scrapes with a straight line that runs through your stand to the place where those treelines meet.

My point: that buck could use those lines to travel parrallel to the trail you've marked with the black line and never slip into the cutover. He'd be able travel in security and cover to either shadow or get downwind of does and not show himself. He could use the other treeline to access ground to the east.

Your stand site looks to be right on the path, but so was that tractor you mentioned in the other thread. I say stay where you are or maybe move off the path a bit. I'd say in you are in a good place if the tractor's out of there.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:46 PM

thanks for the help, i was thinking about giving up on the spot but after all the replies ive gotten, im gettin pretty confident again. riffle season opened 2 weeks ago and i know of one buck that was killed not far from this location but dont think it was big and was killed in the red box to the west. should be cold saturday ill be able to try it again. just got a question about morning hunts.. do bucks tend to get back to the bedding area before the does? would i have a better chance of catching him in daylightearly morning or afternoon? ive tried and tried to do a all day sit and i just cant do it.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:25 PM

Is that water on the far west side. And it also looks like there is a big ridge running North and Southover there to. I don't know if you can hunt that or not but I would go look at that area.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:41 PM

yeah thats a pond. that exact ridge that you see is where i killed a 8pt during bowseason
Old 11-15-2007, 04:43 PM

also, if you look at the lower redbox in the top left corner of the box where the house is..i was told about 30min ago that a big 12pt was in their backyard last nite at about 830