HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Cold Feet Problem (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/217670-cold-feet-problem.html)

dvalliere 11-14-2007 10:20 AM

Cold Feet Problem

I've got a pair of LaCrosse Uplander boots which I received as a gift a few years back. Great boots except that they're uninsulated. Because they're a size too large, I can wear two pairs of wool/wool blend socks. This works fine until the temps drop too far.

Last Saturday, temps were in the mid-20s for me when I got in my stand and opening gun season this coming weekend appears to be aboue the same. With those temps, I can only sit for maybe 3 hours before my toes are just too cold to stand it any longer.

How do I fix this without spending $100+ on nice new boots? (I'm on a very limited income and just can't afford it.) Tips? Suggestions?

bigangrychicken 11-14-2007 10:25 AM

RE: Cold Feet Problem

Have you tried the disposable foot warmers between your 2 pairs of socks? Also, make certain that your socks are not too tight. Decreased circulation will make your feet even colder.

Greekey 11-14-2007 10:34 AM

Dvalliere Hello...And I know exactly what your going through...Some people are actually considered cold handed and cold feeted..When either of those gets cold for me, it is by far the most hunting ending episode i can expierence...Cold feet and me doesnt go lol..Well, you started off by going with uninsulated boots which was a big mistake, and yes insulated boots can get pretty damn pricey. About a year ago I purchased a pair of Rockey hunting boots with an added 1,000 grams of thinsulate in them that cost me around 150.00. With temperatures above 40 my feet do stay comfortably warm, but when the temp plumits these boots suck...Although there is a solution to mine and yours problem..First off get some good socks, which you probably already have, and always double sock your feet if its not to uncomfortable. Second, one thing that has helped me time and time again and always works is get some heat insole inserts that are made by I believe called hot hands. Their those fabric sacs that contain almost like a sand that produces heat, their very cheap I believe 1.50. When shaken are simply by taking them out of the package..just insert them in to your boots and "Bam warm footsies". Hope this solves your problem

hillbillyhunter1 11-14-2007 10:38 AM

Two words: Panty Hose (knee high length, of course:D)...No joke. Add this ingredient to the two sock instruction

dvalliere 11-14-2007 10:40 AM

Well, you started off by going with uninsulated boots which was a big mistake, and yes insulated boots can get pretty damn pricey.
As I mentioned, the boots were a free gift. I didn't intentionally choose uninsulated boots.

I am careful to not to wear too many socks and thus overly restrict flow--because the boots are a size larger than I wear, a very thin dress sock to protect from the wool, a wool sock, and a wool blend sock is just right.

I tried warmers before and I guess I'll try again. I think maybe I'll try to leave them out in the air longer to really heat them up before I load them into my socks/boots. I suppose if my feet get really cold, pulling them out of the boot to re-oxegynate the warmers wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I've heard that the electric socks don't really work and the only other suggestion a friend had was to sit within a sleeping bag which doesn't thrill me.

Any other ideas? Otherwise, I'll go with the warmers.

Rebel Hog 11-14-2007 10:53 AM

US ARMY USMC WOOL BOOT INSERTS LARGE MILITARY SURPLUS - (eBay item ...

You can also rub Unscented Secret Deodorant on your feet to keep them from sweating and getting cold!

Father Forkhorn 11-14-2007 10:57 AM

If you're in a stand, leave an old blanket there and wrap it around your boots.

drogerm 11-14-2007 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: dvalliere

Well, you started off by going with uninsulated boots which was a big mistake, and yes insulated boots can get pretty damn pricey.
As I mentioned, the boots were a free gift. I didn't intentionally choose uninsulated boots.

I am careful to not to wear too many socks and thus overly restrict flow--because the boots are a size larger than I wear, a very thin dress sock to protect from the wool, a wool sock, and a wool blend sock is just right.

I tried warmers before and I guess I'll try again. I think maybe I'll try to leave them out in the air longer to really heat them up before I load them into my socks/boots. I suppose if my feet get really cold, pulling them out of the boot to re-oxegynate the warmers wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I've heard that the electric socks don't really work and the only other suggestion a friend had was to sit within a sleeping bag which doesn't thrill me.

Any other ideas? Otherwise, I'll go with the warmers.
I've noticed my biggest problem with cold feet is them sweating when I'm walking to the stand. I started wearing my Nike Dri-Fit or cycling socks under my wool socks. It wicks the sweat from my feet and I've noticed a big difference.

My uncle is a rancher and swears by the panty hose thing, too. He wears the full length ones not just the knee highs. Very secure in his manhood obviously.

I don't know what they are called, but my father-in-law wears these "booties" that go over your boots. He just carries them with him to the stand and puts them on when he gets up in it. Have no idea how much they run, though.

Canned Heat 11-14-2007 11:27 AM

Carry the socks with you and only apply them when your feet start to get a little cold.I had the same problems with old Sorels when I was kid (felt liners) and bought a pair of LaCrosse Ice Kings about 20 years ago. I haven't worn them in the last 5 or so. I havea pair of $189 Dannersthat were on a blowout sale at Scheel's(WI-ites will know) for $85. I carry in those big quilted over bootswhen I know it will get COLD and put the self-stick reactive toe warmers insideeach outer boot. Snug as a bug......

Here's the boots: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0006712810623a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=boot+covers&N=4887& amp;Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&a mp;Ntt=boot+covers&noImage=0

They're not made for walking in, but they are extremely quiet in the treestand and worth every penny. Wait til late winter and start looking for some good sales on the winter boots. I see they are listed for $50...got mine for $35 at the end of winter 2 years ago.

sjsfire 11-14-2007 11:37 AM

I use the foot warmers that stick to your socks. They cover the ball of your foot to the tip of the toes. I got a bonus pack the other day that had a whole foot warmer in the package, to bad my size 15 is about 5 sizes too big. I guess if it gets cold enough I can use them for a back warmer, another problem spot for me.