Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hornady 12ga. SST good for deer? >

Hornady 12ga. SST good for deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hornady 12ga. SST good for deer?

Old 11-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hornady 12ga. SST good for deer?

hmmmmmmmm i have knocked several deer off their feet with a 12 ga. shot a small buck at 75yrd. running and hit him right behind the ear, shot a doe at 60 yrds in the base of the neck and she didnt even flinch so dont say you cant knock a deer of their feet with a 12 ga. i beg to differ. those sst will be fine shot placement always key with any gun/ammo.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry, I have to disagree with your first comment.
When I first started deer hunting 30yrs ago I was using a 16ga shooting Rem. sluggers. I shot a doe at about 25yrds. She hit the ground instantly as if she was knocked over with a bat. Sorry you are wrong.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Spike

I am also shooting these rounds. Say at 755 am I fired at a large buck in central Illinois. The deer dropped without taking a step at 50 yards or so maybe a little further. As I approached the deer it was very much alive and pulling itself with its front legs. I shot just behind the left shoulder at 15 feet away to kill the animal quickly. My first shot hit the deer 1 inch from the top of his back. It was my first deer ever so the high shot was me. I had the gun a single shot Braztech/Rossi slug gun and a Nikon prostaff 3x9x40 scope set at 50 yards. So I am not sure of the killing ability of the slugs. I am considering using a different round as well.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

I may try something different next year too. I like the rounds that expand and perform well on the not so perfect hits. Partition Golds seems to work very well on the not so perfect shots.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:15 PM

I didn't say you couldn't drop a deer with one, I said you can't literally knock one down. It is physically impossible, it's been proven. You can hit one in the right spot and shock the nervous system causing them to drop on the spot, happens a lot with rifles, but it's never a given. A shoulder or neck shot will usually transfer enough energy to paralyze one until it dies. Don't count on it every time though.

Here is some reading on it if you want.

Shooting Holes in Wounding Theories

SC DNR Game study

Take the same load you "knocked" the deer down with and shoot a 10 or 20 lb piece of fire wood with it at 30 or 40 yards. If it has enough energy to knock a 100 lb deer off from it's feet it should by laws of physics throw or roll the chunk of wood about 10 feet. I bet your lucky if it knocks it over. It would also have to have enough recoil to knock you off your feet as well.

Paul
Old 11-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Evidence that a deer can be knocked off it's feet from shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LII2BQ-cJc

Old 11-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Spike

My uncle just shot a 140# doe opening morning at 80 yards and he was shooting Hornadys and dropped the doe right in that spot. Plus he is shooting them out of a fully rifled barrel
Old 11-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

I don't use the Hornady SST's for a reason. I use the lightfield slugs 2 3/4" and love them. To say you cannot shoot a deer and knock it off its feet is wrong. I've witnessed it. My first year using my mossberg 695 bolt action, with a leupold 1-4x20 scope and these lightfields...well I had a 110 lb doe at 55 yards. I put the scope on the top of her shoulder (I was 20 feet up) and shot her. At the shot, the doe literally went into the air and landed on her back 15 feet away never to even move again. The interesting thing is that there was a circle of blood around her, on the leaves, sides of trees where she spun (however she was dead) and sprayed blood everywhere.

The next season (last year) I drilled a doe...still 18 feet up, but she was 10 yards from the base of my tree. Almost a straight down shot, hit her at the top of her shoulder once again...this time the doe fell with each of her four legs going down in four different directions, then she did a flip, went on her back and was able to stumble 10 yards where she died. The button buck following behind her only ran 65 yards away and then came back to investigate his mother...bad move. He went 30 yards but this time I blew thru both sides of the lungs.

This past Friday, had a 100 lb button buck (thought it was a doe) exactly 18 yards from me. I'm still 20 feet up when I shoot. I put the crosshairs on top of his shoulder blade, shoot and he only goes 5 feet from point of impact. The slug took his feet out from under him...it was like someone took a baseball bat and knocked him out. The energy from these slugs are really something. The slug itself is not pointed...in fact it is flat. I don't know if this is something to it, but I do know that I can hit a 3"x5" card at 50, 100, and 110 yards without making any adjustments. I just put the scope on the center of the card and pull the trigger. One of these days I'm going to put a target out to 125, 150, and 200 yards and see what this shotgun/slug combo will do.

Paul
NH1
Old 11-20-2007, 02:11 PM

Umm, that video is of a video game, how is that evidence? And if you watch it close even if it was real none of those deer get knocked off their feet. They are running and flip when they stop.

Paul, what you saw was not the deer getting thrown by your slug, but it jumping when it was hit. If this was really the case every deer everyone shoots with a slug gun or rifle would get thrown to the ground when shot, when in reality it doesn't happen that often, especially with a lung shot. Shoulder shots usually put them down because you broke both shoulders and they have no balance. Same thing with shooting a person in the hip. They will go to the ground period.

I have seen deer flip over when shot with a bow, a bow certainly doesn't have enough power to flip a deer.

Paul
Old 11-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree - It's not possible to lift or throw a deer off its feet with any legal hunting round -IMPOSSIBLE. You might hit the spine which will Boom Flop any Deer.That is not the same as knocking/throwing/pushing a deer off its feet via the kinetic energy from a bullet.

There has been numerous expert testimony in the field of ballistics and kinetic energy thru the decades to disprove this theory.

Quick Reply: Hornady 12ga. SST good for deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.