Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will I see this buck again?

Old 11-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Will I see this buck again?

Okay, so lets start by saying I have put a lot of effort, time and money into deer hunting. My friend and I have put up 5 stands, 6 food plots and know that there a few monster bucks on the 600 acres that we hunt.

I hate going out during gun season, but hate missing out on the rut even more. So, I went out in my blaze orange last weekend (with my bow). I passed on a small buck in the centre of the property on Saturday morning. We have a rule that the antlers must be out as far as it's ears or some tall freak of nature.

Sunday morning was cold and I was a little late... I was also walking really slowly because every step emitted a crunch if I walked quickly. I was walking through an open portion of field (I have no choice) on the way to my stand on the West side of the property. When I got about 40 yards away from the bushline, I bent down to scent up my drag rag. As I stood up, I fealt something looking at me. Sure enough there was a MONSTER buck coming from the north, but still on the other property about 140 yards away.

I looked at him through my crappy binos and I started to shake. He is the owner of the sheds that I found.(He used to be a decent 10-12 point with 4-5 inch tines) Well, he has a very similar rack, but it is welll past his ears and tall and thick. I couldn't see prefectly because it wasn't really light out yet and my binos fogged up... His neck was huge and his body still made it look scronny. If I had to guess, I'd say it was over 300 lbs.

Anyway, he looked at me (obviously admiring my stature and camo) and turned and proceeded to head in the opposite direction. He went straight north for 300 or so yards and never looked back. The thing is, he never raised his flag, snorted or ran very fast. He just basically trotted off (with s few bounds over shrubs, etc).

Will I ever see him in that area again during legal shooting hours? Should I focus on my other big buck on the other side of the property and let that area and buck settle down?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

If I wasn't so excited to see it and know that he was still alive - I would have cried. Okay, maybe not cried, but prolly would have had a minor meltdown and hissy fit.

He beds down just east of the 2 west stands and has the area torn up (rubs and scrapes).

Old 11-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Will I see this buck again?

Nobody has an opinion?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

Hunt that bad boy! Big dawg! That's my opinion. Whatcha mean will he come back? You know he will. It's rut. The dumb thing probably thought you had pushed off his piece of arse or something and said "awwww she'll be back later". Well go back later set out your scent put out some grunts and kill that big un!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

More than likely didn't know what you were but didn't want to go check it out. You won't get him by sitting on the couch, that one I do know.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

If he has some scrapes, make your own mock scrapes nearby and try to get elavated, preferably in a tree stand, because the rut will bring more deer into your area and you'll get busted by the many different noses and eyes. Get as high 'bove all the activity as possible and sit still, no fidgeting, calculate your evey move.

From your post it appears his bedding area is in the general vicinty, so don't contaminate it with urine and etc.

One key to huntin' Monsters ... is to get in L-o-n-g before daylight, and stay in the hunt. What I mean by stay in the hunt ...such as placing scent on your drag-rag. Do those things behind trees and etc,so the deer won't seeany ofyour movement.Don't daydream or let your guard down, calculate your every move, even if it's scratching your nose.

I'll bet there are other Monsters on your property that you haven't seen yet.

Good Luck StealthyOne!

Here in Kentucky I'm huntin' a World Class Monster and he is as slick as they come, but I'm relentless and take All the precautionary measures.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tips guys.

I already have 2 stands there (with food plots and mineral licks) and the area is littered with buck sign. I also have permission to hunt the property to the north where the buck came from and went back to. I just hope that he makes it through this week (the second week of shotgun season).

There is a bigger deer on the East side of the property that spends most of the daylight hours in the swamp that is 100 yards away from my x-pod stand. I have 3 food plots in that area (1 of them is brassicas).

I am going to hunt the west this weekend (while gun season is on) and maybe get a shot at the one I saw last Sunday. I don't want anyone to see blaze orange going into the swamp stand (East)as it is basically a sanctuary for the deer right now. I will go in and harvest one or two from there in the next month.

If it iswindy this Sunday I may even still hunt the property to the north.
Stay tuned for updates and hopefully pics of me with a $hit eatin' grin and grandaddy bigbuck.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice story lol. He will be back, rut or not. Good luck on bringing him down.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get the hell out there and hunt him every chance you get!! You could very well get him!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

youll see him for sure...in the back of someones truck.jk, im sure youll see him again.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Centauri

Get the hell out there and hunt him every chance you get!! You could very well get him!
+1 and keep the reports coming in. Inquiring minds want to know.

Quick Reply: Will I see this buck again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.