Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What % of the time...

Old 11-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What % of the time...

Drogerm,
My dad went to Arkansas to deer hunt about 10 years straight and said he would see 60-70 deer in a week. He was hunting near the Arkansas/Missouri border though.

As for me, I would say I see deer when I am in the stand about 9 times out of 10.....at least one deer. Tonight I was skunked besides scaring a deer about 20 yards away while repairing my stand. Yesterday afternoon I saw 1 buck, and yesterday morning I saw 4 bucks, 3 were 1.5 year olds, and the other was a 10-pointer near 140-class. I also saw 5 does and what might have been a button buck. So in the last 48 hours I have seen 11 deer while sitting and 12 total while out hunting. However, that is just 2 out of my last 3 hunts.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: npaden

I was out 7 times this past week.

pm - yearling basket 8pt buck
pm - 2 does and 2 fawns with them, 2.5 yr old 9pt buck; 1 boar hog
am - doe and fawn;1 boar hog
pm - 2.5 yr old 9pt buck
am - doe and fawn, yearling basket 8pt buck, 2.5 yr old 9pt buck
pm - 14 turkey, doe and fawn, 2.5 8pt buck (that I shot)
am - nothing

So85% of the time I saw deer, and the average number I saw was 2.67.
I guess since you can seethe Midland skylinefrom Fisher County, you get to see a lot of deer! How many jack rabbits and rattle snakes did you see? lol Just kidding! I grew up out that way and know what it's like.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is an interesting thought that would play a big factor in how many deer you see. From where I sit I can see about 250 - 300 yards in 3 directions. I sit on a hill looking down into the brush and that gives me a big advantage even over a 20' tall stand. (The hill is about 60' tall). If I wasdown lower and could only see 50 - 100 yards I would have seen fewer deer.

I did see 3 rattlesnakes leaving my stand in the dark in the evenings but no jack rabbits. I haven't ever seena jack rabbit on my property actually, but I have seen a few cotton tails. Where my property is I actually have some real trees and 2 creek bottoms and some hills, not the flat as a pancake mesquite brush flats like you get going out farther west.

I'm really happy with my place out there.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on what I'm looking for. There are places that I know I will see deer anytime I go there. But they are does and small bucks. There are other places where I might not see deer, but based on scrapes and rubs, I know that larger bucks may be. Once the rut starts, I'll go to those places where I know the does hang out, in hopes of seeing a shooter buck.

I usually see a few deer when I'm on the stand, but the last two days were unseasonably warm, so not much was moving. A waste of a couple of vacation days, unfortunately.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Wouldn't it be nice if you could schedule your vacation around the weather the same way we do moon phases?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigangrychicken

Wouldn't it be nice if you could schedule your vacation around the weather the same way we do moon phases?
I use to be able to look at the weather forecast and could get a vacation day or two on a couple of days notice, but now, I have to turn in my vacation requests at least a couple of weeks in advance, and it can't conflict with any of my deadlines.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: npaden

That is an interesting thought that would play a big factor in how many deer you see. From where I sit I can see about 250 - 300 yards in 3 directions. I sit on a hill looking down into the brush and that gives me a big advantage even over a 20' tall stand. (The hill is about 60' tall). If I wasdown lower and could only see 50 - 100 yards I would have seen fewer deer.

I did see 3 rattlesnakes leaving my stand in the dark in the evenings but no jack rabbits. I haven't ever seena jack rabbit on my property actually, but I have seen a few cotton tails. Where my property is I actually have some real trees and 2 creek bottoms and some hills, not the flat as a pancake mesquite brush flats like you get going out farther west.

I'm really happy with my place out there.
Sounds like you have a pretty good set-up!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have been out about 35 times and have seen deer everytime but 4 times (all in Oct)