Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunt the rain or not?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default hunt the rain or not?

I am in college right now and we do not have school tomorrow nov 13. I am debating driving home to hunt (1.5 hours)The forcast is 80% chance of rain w/ 10 mph winds. This is the last week for bow before gun season opens sat. The rut is really picking up and I saw some nice bucks this past weekend, and this will be my last chance to hunt before all of my trigger happy neighbors are in the woods. Will the deer be moving in the rain? what type of areas should I hunt?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 AM

Default RE: hunt the rain or not?

Depending on how hard it rain the deer will move they don't like to get wet either but it's great for you because it kills your sent and really eliminates them from using their greatest sense which is their nose. Also it will help you stalk them easier as well the leaves won't be as crunchy and you can move a lot easier with out being detected. I would still or ground hunt when it raining pretty good especially if they on the rut! GL
Old 11-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you stay home you deffenetally won't shoot any deer. If you go out in the rain you might shoot the biggest deer of your life.

Hunt in the woods deep. The rain will keep your scent down and mask any noise you make. Make a good shot so you can go out ofter the blood trail washes away.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

I would hunt. I was hunting owen county yesterday. The morning was miserable. Turned into a nice day though. I've been seeing alot of does and afew small bucks. Its suppose to be rainy all week through saturday and then clear up on sunday. I'm still hopin my sights for my rifle will come in the mail by then so that I don't have to any wet weather muzzleloading.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

GO HUNT, I am 100% sure you won’t get one if you don't go! About 5 years ago I saw one of the biggest bucks in the woods, it was a rainy dreary day, with winds up to 15 mph, and I hadn’t seen anything all day, then POOF, out of the woods I saw movement, first I thought it was just a bird or something, then the animal moved again, this time I could make out the outline of a deer against the forest background, I pulled my bino's up to look and saw NOTHING BUT ANTLERS, my heart began to race, but I stayed calm, I stood up from my stand, pulled back and lined up for the shot....it was probably a 40-45 yard shot, but the shadows from the trees which canopied the area were casting shadows which seemed to dance....I would guess the buck to have been at least 10 points, maybe bigger...yes you read it right, guess, I took the shot, and immediately knew I missed him, my arrow had hit a small oak tree, no bigger than 1 inch in diameter, which then ricocheted the arrow and completely missed the deer.....anyways was I bummed about not getting him, yes, but STILL GLAD that I went out and have this experience to have for a lifetime! GET OUTDOORS; there is no better place to be!!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

If they're in or near the rut...they'll be moving.

You should be able to sneak in and out withminimaldetection if it's raining too.

Remember this line when you're married, and in the same predicament:

"beats sittin' home gettin' b*tched at!"
Old 11-12-2007, 12:58 PM

ya u can have a real good chance of catching em while they're bedded.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:08 PM

You bet I'd go. I know five guys that have gotten deer while sitting in the rain. All of them good bucks too. I also know guys that have gotten skunked while sitting in the rain. I've been that latter group myself....
Old 11-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

If you stay home you deffenetally won't shoot any deer. If you go out in the rain you might shoot the biggest deer of your life.

Hunt in the woods deep. The rain will keep your scent down and mask any noise you make. Make a good shot so you can go out ofter the blood trail washes away.
I'll 2nd that!
Old 11-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Two of the largest bucks I've ever seen was in a torrential down pour.

Quick Reply: hunt the rain or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.