Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need advice for this buck

Old 11-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need advice for this buck

Yesterday I hunted a private tract of land for the first time. I still hunted since I wanted to get the layout. Early afternoon I found a thicket at the edge of a pasture. I was going to back off as it looked like that is where the deer are living. Then one saw me and ran into the thicket. Since the wind was in my favor I tried grunting (immature buck grunt). Sure enough, it started circling around me trying to get downwind. I saw an awesome rack, but never got a shot at him. Then he got downwind and scented me and ran off. I went a short distance to the edge of the pasture and there was rubs and droppings. Along the fence line it looked like a major travel area. This area is obviously the bucks home turf.. so unfortunately I left my scent there.

I have several questions about how to work this buck. I was thinking of going back there this afternoon. It is supposedly the peak of the rut. How would you approach this buck?

Since he busted me after using a buck grunt will he be grunt shy?
Should I be trying rattling?
Should I wait a week to go back?

Thanks for any advice
Old 11-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need advice for this buck

better scent control... playing the wind is everything. Try to get in use some doe scents on your boots and go from there.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Good point. I often forget to use a cover scent on boots. Unfortunately, I left plenty of scent in his living room.. but hopefully this will wear off. I did not go Sunday, but will probably take day off work tomorrow and take every scent precaution. Plan to use some doe estrous scent as well.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sky
Old 11-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Watch your scent!!! Get a scent lure, buck bomb, and I would go after him inon the fence line if that is his main travel route. Give it a few days for things to calm down.