Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rubs and scrapes,...Newbie

Old 01-20-2003, 04:31 PM

Default Rubs and scrapes,...Newbie

I know one is on a tree...i guess that would a be a scrape....I think, but what do rubs look like? How can you tell the difference between a deer rub and a squirrel looking for acornunder the ground?

Please help a newbie
Thanks

Edited by - Hunter501 on 01/20/2003 17:33:54
Old 01-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rubs and scrapes,...Newbie

A rub is when a buck hooks or rubs his antlers on a bush or small tree. Most of them are from one inch diameter to six or so inches diameter and the bark will be rubbed off the tree starting about a foot off the ground to about three feet off the ground. Some will be on larger trees or occasionally even fence post. A scrape is a pawed out area on the ground, usually under a tree limb or bush. They are roughly a yard in diameter or larger. It is a territorial mark or mark for attraction of does in estrus.

Old 01-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Don't worry about confusing a squirrel digging around for food and a deer scrape, once you see a deer scrape and how it is usually under a lick branch you will never forget.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:52 PM

hey, do the leave like twigs and branches inside the circle? I went out looking and it looked to be a old one about a 1 1/2 diameter, but i had a pil of leaves and small branches and twigs..is that normal?

Edited by - Hunter501 on 01/21/2003 16:56:55
Old 01-21-2003, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

It is possible if it is old, but the main thing is the lick branch above the scrape almost always. If a scrape is fresh it will be completely cleaned out and may have a wet spot(pee) in the middle. Also Turkeys scape almost the same way minus the lick branch so you do have to be careful there.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:14 PM

Bucky10 has a good description. There are other hints that you are seeing a scrape. The lick branch may be high or low. I have seen other branches broken or torn off the tree when they catch their rack. Also look very carefully, sometimes you will find tracks near or right in the scrape. If a scrape looks old and the rut is still on,take a stick and freshen it up cleaning all leaves, etc. from it. I have had the buck come back and reclaim the scrape by redoing it, that is if the buck hasn't been harvested. I messed up one scrape, scratched it anew, broke some limbs on the bush it was under and urinated in it. The buck came back and practicly tore the bush out of the ground and scratched all signs of what I did. Guess he was real mad.

Old 01-22-2003, 03:23 PM

bump