Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting deer with dogs, what is your opinion? >

Hunting deer with dogs, what is your opinion?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting deer with dogs, what is your opinion?

Old 11-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Spike

Default Hunting deer with dogs, what is your opinion?

I hunt in Northeast North Carolina where dog hunting is legal, to each there own, but for us still hunters it sure does mess things up for us. I will be in my blind and next thing I know I hear dogs going nuts and all I think about is the dogs moving deer away from me. The hunters will be on the road sitting on there dog boxes and shooting away once the deer runs into the open field. I know they have the right to hunt with dogs but in my opinion there isnt much hunting to it.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hunting deer with dogs, what is your opinion?

This subject has been hashed over several times before on here. It usually ends in a hard feelings and knife fights.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

Dang. Its been awhile since I've noticed this topic on the board. Personally, its not for me but if hunting with dogs is legal in your state there aint much you can do about it. That is unless your on private property and you happen to be the only person who has permission to hunt this peice of land. Otherwise, There is really not that much you can really do except try and find a different place to hunt.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Certainly not for me but I understand it is a time honored tradition in some of our southern states. Where legal I don't have a problem with it providing the owners are doing it ethically with respect to abutting land owners..
Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

They're talkin' about dogs and turkeys here in WI....

There's enough problems with timber wolves killing the hunting dogs in this state. I can imagine the horror stories of all the wounded or killed dogs during gun deer up here. We've already got enough yahoos that want to shoot any dog they see in the woods or on private property....whether it's got a bell or beeper collar on it or not.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Its not for me but I dont have a problem with it as long as people keep their dogs on their own property.
I had a guy that kept running coon dogs through my property and told him repeatedly this is private property...
he would say "I cant tell the dogs where the property lines are" ....

After I shot one, I never seen or heard from those dogs ever again.
I made sure to keep people off his property.... he owes me the same respect. Dogs or no dogs.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is about the fourth thread like this so far this year. As tempted asit is, I'm gonna sit this one out.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

MarkfromNWMO,

I am a coonhunter anda deerhunter. I totally understand about the guy tresspassing. I have had my dogs get out of pocket a few times, but I try not to make it ahabit.He was wrong.

InIndiana, if you shoot a dog, you betterbe prepared to write a big check.If you shot my dog, that big check will be the least of your worries!

Both groups are hunters and need to work together. There are WAY to many anti's who would love to stop both groups from hunting anything.

If we don't watch it, they will divide and conquer us........
Old 11-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Hunting deer with dogs is some of the greatest fun you can have. I love it. Moon phase, temperature, rut or not, the dogs will get the deer moving. And trying to cut them off so you can get a shot is thrilling in of itself.

It's not the same type of sport as stand hunting. Equally fun, just different. The problem is the leasing of the timber companies lands. It's hard to get enough land to run deer dogs without accidently having the dogs trespass or just messing up somebody else's preferred method of hunting. Gotta respect those people's right to be fuddyduddy's.

If you haven't tried it, you should. It's a blast. And until you try it, your opinion will be flawed at best.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Hoosier_Hunter1963

If you shot my dog, that big check will be the least of your worries!
You argue that we shouldn't allow "divide and conquer" while at the same time issuing a threat?

Thankfully, dog hunting isn't allowed in Texas.

I don't have serious problems with people dog hunting, if, and only if, they keep their dogs on property where they have permission to hunt. People invest sometimies thousands of dollars in their annual deer hunting trip. If the dogs mess up someone else's hunt, the owner should be fined for trespassing and should have to compensate the other person for ruining his hunt.

Quick Reply: Hunting deer with dogs, what is your opinion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.