Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting deer with dogs, what is your opinion? >

Hunting deer with dogs, what is your opinion?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting deer with dogs, what is your opinion?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting deer with dogs, what is your opinion?

ORIGINAL: Hoosier_Hunter1963

MarkfromNWMO,

I am a coonhunter anda deerhunter. I totally understand about the guy tresspassing. I have had my dogs get out of pocket a few times, but I try not to make it ahabit.He was wrong.

InIndiana, if you shoot a dog, you betterbe prepared to write a big check.If you shot my dog, that big check will be the least of your worries!

Both groups are hunters and need to work together. There are WAY to many anti's who would love to stop both groups from hunting anything.

If we don't watch it, they will divide and conquer us........
Hoosier_Hunter1963:

I respect your position and I can appreciate it. What I did not go into great detail about was that the guy grew to become ajerk about it after Iwas very cordial about his dogs running my deer out repeatedly.He would reference me asa "city boy who doesnt belong up here andi should go back to STL....that I am expected to heed to the locals doing whatever, whether it infringes on my property or not."
That was a problem for me. I was raised to respect people and their property, that I am no better than the next guy.

In Missouri, his dogs fell under nuisance animals. Simple as that. Having been a professional MMA fighter for nearly 15 years, you could say I dont take too kindly to threats and fingers being poked in my chest just for spite or pissing rights. I'm getting too old for that nonscense.
This was about respect. Pure and simple. And now it has been 4-5 years and he has actually moved and sold his land.

but I agree with you on the anti's.... and will repeat, I certainly respect your position. But I dont go around poking fingers in the chests of those following the dignified road. I think this guy was the exception and not the norm.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigangrychicken

Hunting deer with dogs is some of the greatest fun you can have. I love it. Moon phase, temperature, rut or not, the dogs will get the deer moving. And trying to cut them off so you can get a shot is thrilling in of itself.

It's not the same type of sport as stand hunting. Equally fun, just different. The problem is the leasing of the timber companies lands. It's hard to get enough land to run deer dogs without accidently having the dogs trespass or just messing up somebody else's preferred method of hunting. Gotta respect those people's right to be fuddyduddy's.

If you haven't tried it, you should. It's a blast. And until you try it, your opinion will be flawed at best.
I totally agree!! Its not about killing the deer to alot of us who run dogs. I run my deer dogs because i love to hear them run. I don't do it to kill more deer; I kill about 3 times as many bucks during bow and blackpowder. There needs to be more ambassadors of the sport and not so many knuckleheads who give all deerdoggers a bad image.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

And I am not saying what I did was right either. I feel about it, I do.

But the problem went away.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:13 AM

I drove to an area that the dog ”sport shooters” were gathered and they had 2 pickups loaded full of deer. I wanted to hunt in an area close to that but after seeing that I was like what’s the use all the hunting is gone.

I believe land owners should be allowed by law to shoot dogs on their property. A land owner might have prepared his land all year for deer season and a couple of dogs can wreak all his work.
So you could say I don’t support it.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Steve8511

I drove to an area that the dog ”sport shooters” were gathered and they had 2 pickups loaded full of deer. I wanted to hunt in an area close to that but after seeing that I was like what’s the use all the hunting is gone.

I believe land owners should be allowed by law to shoot dogs on their property. A land owner might have prepared his land all year for deer season and a couple of dogs can wreak all his work.
So you could say I don’t support it.
I am right there with you Steve. I respect their rights and interests... just don't want them on my property. I work hard to make my place a good place to hunt... them dogs can wreck it for days in a matter of minutes...
Old 11-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

never dog-hunted, huh?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 PM

how could you shoot a dog? Regardless if hes running your deer...thats someones friggen pet dude....not cool at all. It's a sport...not a fight. You cant control where a dog goes...and out of spite for him calling you a city boy...which you probably are...and probably looked like one...i dont think you should have shot his dog out of vengence for him "messing up your deer hunt". He's in the same boat you are...hes a hunter...hunting how he hunts. If you shot my dog...id friggen cut the tree you were sitting in down and burn your property...cause my dog....IS MY BEST FRIEND. I think you shooting a dog shows how much of a coward you are and how lousy it really is...that just because a dog scared all of your poor lil deer away...you had to shoot his pet...how phucked up.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bigangrychicken

never dog-hunted, huh?
What's your point? It's illegal where I am. I said I don't care if you dog hunt where it's legal, as long as you keep your dogs on land you have permission to hunt. If you let them run anywhere else other than on land where you have permission to hunt, in my book you're a trespasser.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Chronic

how could you shoot a dog? Regardless if hes running your deer...thats someones friggen pet dude....not cool at all. It's a sport...not a fight. You cant control where a dog goes...and out of spite for him calling you a city boy...which you probably are...and probably looked like one...i dont think you should have shot his dog out of vengence for him "messing up your deer hunt". He's in the same boat you are...hes a hunter...hunting how he hunts. If you shot my dog...id friggen cut the tree you were sitting in down and burn your property...cause my dog....IS MY BEST FRIEND. I think you shooting a dog shows how much of a coward you are and how lousy it really is...that just because a dog scared all of your poor lil deer away...you had to shoot his pet...how phucked up.
I'm not condoning shooting people's dogs, but, if you're that worried about your best friend, keep him off of property where you don't have permission to hunt. Seems like a rather easy solution. If you can't control your dogs, keep them at home. What gives you or your dogs the right to trespass on someone else's property?

Just curious... what does a city boy "look like"?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

I've seen dogs running deer in and around Black River Falls, WI that probably hadn't had human contact in months or more. No collar, dirty as he11, and more than likely rabid or mangy. One was a beagle and the other one was some mix that you couldn't make out. I didn't shoot it because it's against the law, but I found out the following week when I went back up that someone had taken them out. The warden's job here. I'm not defending Mark from Mizzou, but you don't knowthe scenariothat took place there either, and toassume every single dog that's on foot is someone's personal pet and "best friend" is ridiculous....ask Mike Vick.
I own 2 dogs. Something tells me this one that he shot and mine (or yours) have very little in common.

Quick Reply: Hunting deer with dogs, what is your opinion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.