HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What do you think about deer drives? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/216337-what-do-you-think-about-deer-drives.html)

whitetailcrazy 11-06-2007 07:04 PM

What do you think about deer drives?

Curious to see what members of HN think about deer drives?

timbercruiser 11-06-2007 07:33 PM

RE: What do you think about deer drives?

Nothing like a good pack of black & tans or blueticks on a buck on a frosty morning......:)

FroMan 11-06-2007 08:41 PM

I've been apart of deer drives before. I've actually killed deer on deer drives. Don't correctly, they are effective and safe. You might more of a chance of dying falling out of a treestand.

I do however, save deer drives for late in the season...usually the closing weekend or last few days.

Also...they are very effective on islands where people pressure is limited because you have to have a boat to get there and also, the deer's movement is restricted because it's an island for goodness.

JoeyG 11-07-2007 12:45 AM

I love man drives.
We dont do them untill the last few weeks of gun season.

Champlain Islander 11-07-2007 06:48 AM

Not my favorite way to hunt but I have on occasion been a part of a drive. The ones I have been involved with were mostly still hunting towards one another not the traditional posters and drivers working together.

Canned Heat 11-07-2007 07:05 AM

If you're with guys that have common sense and know where the standers are, and will be....not a problem. I've done my share too, with good results. They do account for a lot of accidents though.

We'll try itduring the final days at either location where we hunt. Sometimes.

Jimmy S 11-07-2007 07:18 AM

For the time spent in the woods, doing drives is the most productive method of hunting.

We have been involved in drives but not the traditional kind.
Rather, we have 1-2-3 hunters slowly hunt their way to another who is staying in his treestand. It may take a while before we are all together and we have kicked up some deer at times.

This is definitely the exception to our way of hunting but when someone tags and the other 2-3 guys head over to help, we often slowly work our way to the hunter who is closest to the guy who tagged. Often enough, we have moved deer near that area. It's a good way to take advantage of others walking through and has resulted in dragging 2 deer out of the woods rather than only one.

MarkfromNWMO 11-07-2007 07:36 AM

I can see where they are productive and I have participated in drives myself.... I just have a hard time rationalizing the guy that gets the big boy buckmounted when he was taken from a drive... I dont know, just preference

twiede 11-07-2007 07:41 AM

BeforeI started hunting, my brother andI were voted to drive for our dad, uncles and grandpa. These drives worked pretty well in southern WI because there were so many deep gulches in the woods where the deer were hiding. Once we walked through they'd come out and most often at least one guy would get a deer. Someone would really have to sweet talk me into driving these days tho ;)

IndyHunter83 11-07-2007 07:45 AM

I have done a type of deer drive in the past where I push deer to inexperienced hunters who may not get a deer otherwise. That seemed to work pretty well when you only have a limited amount of time. The main thing to remember is to make sure they know where were you are or be out of the line of fire at all times. For my self, I like to do my hunting solo. I'll either stand hunt or still hunt depending on what the conditions are.