Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.270 Ammo??

Old 11-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default .270 Ammo??

Hey, Im new to the board and fairly new to the hunting game. Be my first year that i take my deer hunting as serious as my fishing...lol Im fresh out of college and finally have enough time to devote to some serious hunting.

In any case i just bought myself a new gun this year. Remington 700 SPS in 270 cal. I have added a Leupold VXI 3-9x40 as well. I have been shooting just regular cheap core-lockt 130grain through it and have been hitting some very nice groups but i just cant seem to get this as fine tunedas i would like. My 30-06 i can cut bullet holes with with core lockt 180grain and the same VXI scope.

My question is how much better is say federal or horneday ammo than the remington stuff. I know the price is near double in some cases but what exactly are you getting...Im not a guru on this hunting stuff yet, so i figured this would be a good place to join, ask,and learn something.

I guess in another sense does any1 have this particular rifle and what are you finding is the best ammo for it.

Thanx for the input,
CB
Old 11-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .270 Ammo??

I have a 270 in a ruger and I shoot Hornady 140 grain boattail soft points. It hits hits where I aim and drops deer in their tracks.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:16 PM

I also shoot a Remington 700 in .270
Hornady shoots best for me.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like the Hornady 140's also, but there shouldn't be anything wrong with the Rem's.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried nearly every brand and bullet type on the market in the last 25 years of shooting a 270, and my favorite factory ammo is Winchester Supreme 140 gr Accubonds. I have gotten super accuracy in every 270 that I have or have ever owned, and their terminal performance on game is good as well.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Spike

Choose what works well in your gun! If you have the budget to play with it, Try them all and see which bullet your gun likes best.
If you are like I was when I first got out of college, Cost of ammo can be a big deal. Use the cheaper bullets. At my age and position in life, I am willing to pay
a little more to have the best, whether I need it or not. I mean a Bargainbullet from Walmartis $0.50 while a premium bullet is $1.50 per shot.

I shot 3 bullets to check my sights this fall, I shot and killed a Mule Deer buck with one bullet, I shot and killed a Bighorn Sheep with one bullet. Shot two at a coyote.
I went through7 bullets in my 270WSM this fall. To use a premium hunting bullet cost me all of $7.00 this fall. And since I reload, it really didn't cost me that much.

The real cost is when you try all brands to find which one works best in your rifle.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Spike

Federal Fusion 130 grain shoots great in my rifle, and has resulted in 3 one-shot, not tracking needed kills in the last two deer seasons.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Great gun combination!! Personally, I think too much hype circles ammo... pick a brand that shoots well through your gun and hunt through the same box of ammo... I always aire to the side of cost effective over hype.... but then again I shoot a 300 Weatherby... that is a $45 dollar box of ammo....
Old 11-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

To answer your question, "What are you getting for double the price?" Usually these will be loaded with premium bullets such as nosler partitions, accubonds, barnes, etc. In most cases these are not necessary to kill a deer. They are not that tough. These loads are more suited for elk and bears and such.

Rem corelokts, win power points, fed power-shok. All should be fine for deer. Ihave had good luck with the win power points. I also really like sierra gamekings. I think fed makes a load with them.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 AM

Here is my take and I may get flamed for this. How much accuracy do you really need? 2" inch groups at 100 yards become 4" inch groups at 200 yards. The diameter of the kill zone for a white tail is 8-10".

I just switched back to Core-Lokts from Win. Supreme Ballistic Tips. I can't justify paying over double the price of Core-Lokts. I was killing them with Core-Lokts and thought I needed the more expensive stuff.I don't.

Quick Reply: .270 Ammo??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.