HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   relieving ones self (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/216254-relieving-ones-self.html)

deerdad4 11-06-2007 12:30 PM

relieving ones self

I have heard, even on this forum, that relieving ones self in the woods will not scare off deer. It has even been said that deer will curiously come to such. Like making a mock scrape and relieving in it...

so my question... does this apply to public ground also?

here is my thought process: on private land without a lot of pressure deer may be curious, but on public with lots of hunters in the woods wouldnt the deer associate the human sent of urine with the danger of the hunting pressure and thus be repelled rather than drawn?

I hunt public, and travel a loooong way to get to my stand with climber and gear... would love to have one less thing to carry by ditching the bottle.

any thoughts?

swamp rooster 11-06-2007 01:03 PM

RE: relieving ones self

dont bother my deer i make mock scrapes all the time and piss all in them myself,,next day it will be full of tracks and dont take long for a buck to take it over,,and you have seen some of my pics i take good deer every year,,

MarkfromNWMO 11-06-2007 01:03 PM

I don't risk it... I bring an empty 1/2 gallon milk jug with me and keep it undermy seat in my stand...

swamp rooster 11-06-2007 01:05 PM

o you asked about relieving yourself,,i stand up and piss right out the top of my stand ,,been doing it for years,,

Canned Heat 11-06-2007 01:18 PM

I have awaist pack that's got slots for 2 water bottles. 1 is for a squirtbottle with water and the other is an empty 20 oz. Mountain Dew bottle.

Never confuse themafter you fill thesecond bottle.

bristowboy_20 11-06-2007 01:24 PM

once I had to piss REALLY bad when I got to my stand, I tried to hold it, but couldnt. So when I watered the tree my stand was on.... Climed back up the stand, blew my grunt call, 5 minutes later I had a big 8 pointer right under my stand, which happened to be my first ever buck. That happened when I was 15 i think.

Champlain Islander 11-06-2007 01:35 PM

When ya gotta go ya gotta go. I never saw where it spooked a deer. IPee in all my mock scrapes and the bucks soon take over.

ShatoDavis 11-06-2007 01:41 PM

I read once that the chemical make up of human urine is exactly the same as deer's. In other words they can't smell the difference. Don't know if this is 100% accurate though.

I know a fellow that pees in every scrape he finds. Says it makes the bucks use it more. Maybe, they think another buck is moving in on them. I've never personally done it.

Centauri 11-06-2007 02:58 PM

Lol... i have an interesting feeling that this thread will be popular... Anyways, I better set up my stand at our camp toilet!!

waiting_for_a_gift 11-06-2007 03:18 PM

I don't think urine bothers deer at all. I pee in scrapes sometimes too. I pee from my stand a lot.