Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Two weeks before gun season and my son is messing up in school!! >

Two weeks before gun season and my son is messing up in school!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Two weeks before gun season and my son is messing up in school!!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Two weeks before gun season and my son is messing up in school!!

All of you have reasons for your own answers they areyour own choices to make but I certainly feel some of you are way off base.

Third grade ,what are we talking here 9 years old? Just how can making him sit home in front of a mindless video game make him a better student than spending time with his father learning about nature,wildlife,the whole outdoor world.
The Lessons learnedabout being quite,being disciplined but most of all spending time with his father will far surpass any silly reason for denying both of you one of life's greatest gifts.
AS for it being your wifes idea I can guess shes not that keen on your time spent hunting either so for her its a win win you both stay home and be miserable.

There is a fine line between being a strict disciplined father and being a dic..........[:'(]
Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 AM

Well,

The only thing I can do is tell you what I do. My son's in the third grade. His teacher has a system that is green, yellow, red. They act up too much they go to yellow, act up again= red. Anything other than greenand my son is in trouble at home. That means taking awayprivledges. That includes hunting, shooting,football, baseball...
Old 11-06-2007, 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Third grade ,what are we talking here 9 years old? Just how can making him sit home in front of a mindless video game make him a better student than spending time with his father learning about nature,wildlife,the whole outdoor world.
The Lessons learnedabout being quite,being disciplined but most of all spending time with his father will far surpass any silly reason for denying both of you one of life's greatest gifts.
I think you underestimate how advanced a 9 YO is. Actually, I start disciplining a long time ago. If I waited until now it well could have been out of control.

I agree that hunting is a great gift. My son thinks so too, thats why its a perfect tool for discipline. It is alway more effective to take something they love away. Besides we aren't talking about it being permanent. Its more like, get in trouble at school then he has to do homework while his brother and I get to go hunting, or miss this weeks football game.... Let that happen once or twice and my son straightened up. Now I have a well disciplined child to take hunting.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Believe me I understand discipline and its need. However the time you spend hunting with a child is the very best time to teach them the very valuable lessons to get thru life.
I do not believe a teacher with a class room full of kids can do any where as much good in educating my child as I can on a one on one basis while doing something as enjoyable as hunting.
Have you ever watched the joy in a kids face when they make a great cast,set the hook and land their first fish of the day? Neither will I deny myself nor my daughter that joy.

As for punishment end the football,end the basket ball and take away the game boy but never be foolish enough to deny the both of you the to few moments of joy that hunting and fishing with your child brings the both of you.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:54 AM

I am a father of 4 and this issue is always a struggle. I take my vacation from work for rifle season and the family camps while I, and the boys, hunt. this is a once a year thing.

Because of that I would not want to use hunting as a punishment. its once a year. My kids play sports and are involved in other activities, and it is those privledges that I remove based on behavior/grades, etc. Act up in school you sit the bench during the first half of the game on Sat. act up again you sit the bench the whole game. still have behavior issues you will loose other privledges.

My kids dont hunt the opening weekend anyway, they hunt the during the week because of hunting on Public land and the crowds on the weekends.

Bottom line, your kids have to know there will be punishment for their actions/behavior and you as parents are the only ones who have to decide what those consequences are, regardless of what others think or say!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok guys I don't think that we are talking about taking the entire season away form the kid or not letting him attend the family vacation. In my opinion you don't let the bay go opening weekend with you. Don't let him sit and play video games give him some chore, it would be nice to come home fromthe field with the yard raked and the car washed. I bet he will be good the next week.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 AM

To each their own.

I'm an avid hunter/fisherman/sports aholic. I struggled with the decision as well. The last thing I wanted was for my boy to miss a football game, or hunting, or fishing because it meant so much to me. But, I could take away the x box with no effect. I could take away everything else, with little effect. But the first time I took away football, and he had to tell the other players why He wouldn't be at the game hegot the message.

I haven't had to take away hunting because of the football incident. he loves hunting and hebehaves so that hecan continue to go with me. I'm happy because I would hate to go with out him.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

Ok guys I don't think that we are talking about taking the entire season away form the kid or not letting him attend the family vacation. In my opinion you don't let the bay go opening weekend with you. Don't let him sit and play video games give him some chore, it would be nice to come home fromthe field with the yard raked and the car washed. I bet he will be good the next week.
Yea quality time raking the yard ,thats some positivereinforcement of why school is so important.Thats kinda like beating your dog when he comes home.
And why have the father involved with his kids any way as long as he sends the support check nothing more should be expected of him.Right?

If any of you really believe that your time is not the single greatest thing you can give a child I'm afraid the boat has sailed with out you.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like he's learned exactly what amount of bad behaviour he can get away with in this system. You have to decide what level of bad behavour you will allow him to get away with.

Once you decide that you make it clear to him what the rules are and the consequences for breaking them. If hunting is the one thing that will get through to him, then do it. He has the rest of his life to hunt, and you with him, missing one day to teach a lesson is worth it.

Keep in mind though that you will need something once hunting season is over.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

And why have the father involved with his kids any way as long as he sends the support check nothing more should be expected of him.Right?

If any of you really believe that your time is not the single greatest thing you can give a child I'm afraid the boat has sailed with out you.
Yeah and teaching your kid that its ok to get in trouble in school because dad will take you the do the fun things anyway, thats great! Absolutely, lets raise a whole generation that believes there is no consequence for their actions.

Quick Reply: Two weeks before gun season and my son is messing up in school!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.