HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Rationale for prohibition on shooting albino deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/216054-rationale-prohibition-shooting-albino-deer.html)

Alsatian 11-05-2007 01:58 PM

Rationale for prohibition on shooting albino deer?

Some states, including Oklahoma, prohibit shooting albino (white) deer. As far as I know, albino deer are not a different species of deer that is in danger of extinction. I think albinoism is merely a recessive genetic trait that rarely manifests and is in fact a major disadvantage of those deer who express this trait. So, why do states prohibit shooting albino deer?

I think there may be some superstition associated with white deer, that white deer are thought to have special spiritual value or powers. What do you all think?

Lanse couche couche 11-05-2007 02:05 PM

RE: Rationale for prohibition on shooting albino deer?

Dunno, why can't you shoot doves in some states, or hunt on sundays in others. Why does squirrel season in southern Illinois open on August 1. Some game laws just have you shaking your head.
I know that some Indians get all wound up over white buffalo, but don't think that would be the motivation for protecting white deer. Maybe some state legislator thought that they are pretty.[&o]

IndyHunter83 11-05-2007 07:42 PM

Why cant we shoot albino deer??
Well, I suppose people are tryin to politically correct with that law. Some native american cultures say that they're sacred. Personally, I say a deer is a deer.

isatarak 11-05-2007 11:10 PM

There are white deer which are not albino. I don't know if there are any in Oklahoma, but I don't have a clue why it's against the law to shoot an albino.

FroMan 11-05-2007 11:27 PM

Those albino deer have jacked up genetics.

Of course you wouldn't want to cull the deer with jacked up genetics...

Oklahoma must be consulting with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission.

[:'(]

Lubricious 11-06-2007 05:19 AM

Maybe its because they make easy targets. I should say easier targets since they are missing their camo.

Pioneer2 11-06-2007 06:19 AM

Their survival rate in the wild is about zero for dying of old age.Being odd doesn,t make them special .They are genetic freaks that shouldn,t get a chance to ruin the gene pool.You wouldn't useinferior stock with flaws to breed dogs or racehorses would you? People are more concerned with appearing politically correct than making intelligent choices,SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS.This says a lot about our society.By the same token some people I've met shouldn't have reproduced either......[need pre- mating aptitude testing]...................... The animal rights nuts that are so concerned about their furry friendsplace no value on human life.To them abortion is an acceptable method of birth control.....I wonder where they'd be if their parents shared their views?.......One day we will alll be held accountable for our actions......Harold

Kid 11-06-2007 06:32 AM

It's purely emotional. In Illinois it is illegal to kill any all white deer, albino or not.

MarkfromNWMO 11-06-2007 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

Their survival rate in the wild is about zero for dying of old age.Being odd doesn,t make them special .They are genetic freaks that shouldn,t get a chance to ruin the gene pool.You wouldn't useinferior stock with flaws to breed dogs or racehorses would you? People are more concerned with appearing politically correct than making intelligent choices,SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS.This says a lot about our society.By the same token some people I've met shouldn't have reproduced either......[need pre- mating aptitude testing]...................... The animal rights nuts that are so concerned about their furry friendsplace no value on human life.To them abortion is an acceptable method of birth control.....I wonder where they'd be if their parents shared their views?.......One day we will alll be held accountable for our actions......Harold
You have the bleeding heart liberals to thank for that!!! Ooops, wrong forum!

wis_bow_huntr 11-06-2007 08:12 AM

Proteceted in Wi as well.