Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Could things go more wrong a hunt. >

Could things go more wrong a hunt.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Could things go more wrong a hunt.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default Could things go more wrong a hunt.

I've been patient all season. Then came Saturday. For the rest of my life I will always look back on that hunt as the worst of my life. Got up that morning early. Wanted to get in the stand and set well before light. Hopped in the truck. Crap! Out of gas. That was O.K. I have plenty of time. Finally get to the land. Parked further away than usual. Start walking in the woods. Got about 50 yards from where I planned to set up and heard movement. (Georgia woods are so dry right now you could hear movement from 2 counties over). Stopped and listened. Pulled out a Tinks 69 scent bomb and opened it up. As I pulled the wick up it popped out and splashed 69 all over my hands and shirt. GRRRRRRRRrrrrrr.[:@]Well I'm one big sexy doe in a tree today I thought. Took two more steps and what do I hear......................
PFFFT PFFFT pffft pffft pffft And stomping hoofs go blazing off into the woods.
My stomach dropped! [:'(]I could have thrown up. Well, at least they wouldn’t be bothered by me setting up now. [&o]Get to my tree and set up. I'm trying to stay positive. Perhaps they will come back mid morning to bed down. (Yea right whatever and fat pink elephants will be flying buy to play a love song out of their snouts) I'm settled in and I go to adjust the foot rest. Dropped the holding bar and now my foot rest is swinging freely below my feet! It's making a creaking sound every time I move.[&:] Finally get it fixed and I hear something coming up the woods. Yessss! I am a lucky guy. The sound is getting closer and closer. I get my rifle set....Here it comes over the hill. I'm sure it's the buck of the year!!!!!..........Two dogs pop over the ridge. [:@]They're hot on the trail. Bust right through the area. Can this hunt get any worse you ask? Why yes it can. About 10 minutes after the dogs go buy I have to piss. So I reach into my bag for my piss bottle (I always keep a fresh empty water bottle in my bag for such occasions) only to find it's not there!!! (Later my wife tells me "I threw out that water bottle thought you had finished it because it was empty") What to do??? Well I did the only thing a hunter can do in that situation. I emptied out my scent block spray container and pissed in it. Well not a bad idea, it worked o.k., which is until I ran out of bottle and got piss on my pants. [:@] By this time I'm fed up. Climbed down went home to watch my Irish (who are having as bad a season as I am) loose to Navy. []
With all of this I told my wife I quit hunting. I didn't want to do it any more...... So I went again last night and didn't see anything but it was better than spilling Tink's 69 on my hands.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Could things go more wrong a hunt.

The worst thing in my opinion is you left early to go watch ND play. Don't let a few little things ruin your hunt. As for as piss, I was one who never pissed while out in the woods. Then one day I was walking back to my truck and just couldn't hold it any longer. There was snow on the ground, so the next morning I followed my same tracks in and where I pissed the night before there were deer tracks and yellow snow everywhere at the spot I stopped to piss. If I'm in my stand and have to go I aim over the side and go.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

I hate being a die hard ND fan this year. But I guess it just has to be. I will always be an ND fan. My big concern is could I have done anything different once I spooked the deer? Should I have just gone on back home? I guess they were bedded down in a thicket right buy where I wanted to set up. Will they come back after I spooked them like that and after two dogs ran through their area?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you leave you definately won't shoot a deer.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Other than the gas situation there isn't any thing you did that probably didn't happen to some of us. I don't know about GA but the rut is just starting the last few days in Illinois. I'd have held out. Where I hunt deer can come in from any direction and it's not uncommom for me to have a dog come through once in a while or hear a chain saw off in the distance. I hear neigbors tractors start up, them working around the feed lots. I think deer get used to the sounds. Unless of course your hunting out in the middle nowhere?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

Our peak rut is not for 2 more weeks according to Georgia Outdoor News rut map. And the weather has been warm, cold, warm, cold for the past few days. The leaves are just now turning and falling. I'm planning an all day hunt for the peak Saturday. Just hope that hunt doesn't come out like this weekend's did.