Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do?

Old 11-04-2007, 11:45 AM

Default What would you do?

So in Indiana baiting is illegal. (no i don't want to bring up the baiting debate) I am currently set up on the corner of what used to be an uncut corn field. When the farmer whose land I have access to combined the land he spilled a bunch of corn within 100 yards and in the line of site of my stand. What would you do? I personally am not chancing it and am moving my stand... which sucks because it was a nice spot
Old 11-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What would you do?

tough one. I'd probably move the stand
Old 11-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd make a call to the DNR and ask the question. Here that wouldn't be considered baiting as you the hunter did not place the source in effort to attract or harvest game over it. Baiting is legal here but their are rules that need to be adhered to when deploying such a tactic and spilled crops or broken bails do not apply. Personally I don't see any way you were involved or could have prevented this occurance so wouldn't move without first checking. Good luck
Old 11-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Here baiting is illegal but hunting over a crop field or harvested crop field is not illegal. The F&W dept doesn't want us to bring crops and dump them but if there is crop residue where harvested it is legal.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:15 PM

Sounds legal to me, as mentioned above, the best answer you would get is from your local DNR.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here it is the same as CI mentioned and it would not be a problem to stay put if you wished to. Just like hunting around apple trees, if you didn't put apples on the ground and they fell off the tree, what would be different? Good luck on what you decide to do.. I would check to make sure it is OK or not..
Old 11-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

If it a good place to hunt couldn't you go out in the afternoon and just clean it up somehow .Just asking .
Old 11-05-2007, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

I'd leave my stand right there and not worry about it. Crop fields in Indiana are considered the same as foodplots, which are legal.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:42 AM

I just don't like the idea of the one random time that a dnr official comes to see me in my stand there is a area of spilled corn that looks like I baited them. I'd really hate having to go to court to get all of my hunting stuff back!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I've asked DNR before, you can hunt over spilled ag products, you just can't keep the pile growing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.