Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

got a question

Old 11-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Spike

Default RE: got a question

I have run into this situation before, and we always went with the first fatal shot. It isn't necessarily fair to go with first blood - what happens if the first guy nicks the deer on the lower leg (and doesn't hit an artery). Sure there will be some blood, but that hit isn't going to kill the deer.

Jason
Old 11-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that legally when you shoot a deer it becomes your possesion (which is why when a deer crosses a property line you have legal right to pursue) but I think it probably isn't worth fighting over as long it was just another deer to you (not your first or a wall hanger).
Old 11-03-2007, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

I think that legally when you shoot a deer it becomes your possesion (which is why when a deer crosses a property line you have legal right to pursue) but I think it probably isn't worth fighting over as long it was just another deer to you (not your first or a wall hanger).
yea thats the thing though. it was my first deer and it was a 10 point with about a 20 inch spread. it was a very nice deer. but he will get what he deserves and ill get another one.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:24 PM

When you shoot a Deer and it cross over property lines,and you cross,Then that becomes tresspassing on your part, and yes you should do everything to recover that deer, but if the land owner says No stay off my property then he's right? At least thats the way it is here in Indiana, The land owner doesnt even have to give a CO, the right to come and get it.But i agree the adult should of said come and get your deer Son? But iam sorry things dont always happen like there suppose to, and his day will come?
Old 11-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

I think that legally when you shoot a deer it becomes your possesion
Not in Michigan. It does not become your possession until you tag it.
(which is why when a deer crosses a property line you have legal right to pursue)
Not legal in Michigan either. You need permission to trail a deer on private property.

Every state has different regulations. Also in Michigan, DNR policy is, the shot that kills the deer, gets the deer. Not the shot that would have killed the deer after it bled to death.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:11 PM

Every state has different regulations. Also in Michigan, DNR policy is, the shot that kills the deer, gets the deer. Not the shot that would have killed the deer after it bled to death.

thats f%$king ridiculous, i wouldnt even listen to that law, give your heads a shake, you shoot and hit, wound orkill, its yours as far as i am concerend.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:09 PM

I believe the first hunter who shot the animal is the ethical "owner" as long as he makes a good faith effort at retrieval. Of course, the property owner is probably the "legal" owner of a wounded deer that he finds on his property. A variation of this happened to me in New Zealand this year. I shot a red stag that had been wounded by another hunter 4 weeks previously. The stag's right front leg was broken and still very swollen but the he had survived and was still climbing the mountains. As the previous hunter had paid for the stag it was his and I got to shoot him as a second stag of the week at no cost to me. I thought that was a great outcome for all concerned.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

The way I see it as far as ethics go the first "fatal" shot gets the animal. Though when it has happened that another party member has wounded a deer and someone else finishes it in our party the first hit owns the deer. That said when it comes to 2 seperate parties it up for grabs, unfortunately. I wouldn't tag a deer that was shot by someone else only seconds ago. Such an event is unlikely as I don't hunt that close to another party, in fact rarily am that close to someone in my party either.

As far as crossing property lines here it is illegal to cross onto posted land to retrieve legally harvested game without landowner permission or DNR ******. A couple places i hunt I can not obtain permission to retrieve downed game from the landowner as such I don't put myself in the situation where it may happen. Meaning in such a case I hunt far enough away from the property lines that a death dash will not make it to their side of the line.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, It belongs to whoever killed it. Now, I'd be nice if he offered it to you to tag since your saying you shot it first. But, legally there probably isn't much you can do about it. I'd let him have it if thats the way he wants it. No need in starting a pissing match between bordering landowners. There will be other deer. Just remember this is my opinion.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

By law it is their deer. Just hope the guy won't be an idiot.

Quick Reply: got a question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.