HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   make me feel better (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/215552-make-me-feel-better.html)

hurley0816 11-02-2007 01:40 PM

make me feel better

I wanna hear some stories of not finding your deer or making bad shots. this is my second year and I have shot one to high and the other I dont even know what happend, but I couldnt find either. last year I didnt even draw back on a deer. I just need to hear that I am not the only one.

bigpapa 11-02-2007 02:13 PM

RE: make me feel better

Yea that happens. Only if you post about it on here you usually get flamed to death. So be prepaired. With that said I'll stick my neck out there with you and admit. Yea I've lost one or two. You feel like crap. But that's part of it. You want to make the shot and have it count. You want meat in the freezer. You want the trophy. But sometimes God doesn't see it that way. And sometimes you can only search so much. I shot at a doe 3 years ago thought I hit her. Never saw a blood trail. Looked with my partner for about 3 hours. Came back the next day and looked. Never found her..... Until the next weekend when she came back out at the same spot. Made me feel like she was saying "Naa Naa You cant get me!" Don't feel bad, it takes time, effort, and sometimes luck. You do what you can to not have it happen BUT. That doesn't mean it wont.

geterdun3 11-02-2007 02:54 PM

happens more than you think. i did it on the opener in MD. if you do get bashed by someone on here, brush it off. it happens to the best of us. only thing to say is prepare as much as you can, take ur time with the shot, and hope for the best. alot of times its not that the hunter was underskilled or underprepared, just natural factors come into play. either the deer moves to fast, a branch suddently" jumps in ur way" (which has happened believe it or not, didnt see it before the shot prob. due to buck fever and then as soon as the arrows is released, here is this 1 inch thik branch lol) just try ur hardest

bayou_buckslayer 11-02-2007 06:36 PM

dont feel bad I clipped a deers leg last year dont feel bad

lethalconnection 11-02-2007 06:42 PM

I hit an elk in the a$$ and i wasnt even aiming for that one, my gun was way off and i hit the wrong one, it still died but horrible horrible shot and lots of lost meat:(:(

Retaks 11-03-2007 03:56 AM

Yep it happens to everyone. I got some different slugs last year and shot a small buck at anout 15 yards with them. I git the deer. I know i hit the deer. I herd the thwack and saw the deer stumble when it got shot. I waited about 45 mins then decided to go look for blood since i didnt see or hearthe deer go down. I couldnt find any blood so i started walking in the direction the deer came looking really hard for any sigh of the deer. Well after about 50 yards of looking i hear some deer and look up and its the deer i just shot and about 6 does coming back at me. So i hide behind a tree and wait for them to pass so i cna get out of the woods and wait for him to go down. Well i go the next morning to look for him and go back to where i shot him at to start my search. Well i found my slug on the groundepanded to about the size of a $0.50 pieceright around where he was standing. I kept seeing that same deer all year there and saw him again this year 3 times already. I just cant shoot him again after that. There are a few more biger bucks i see in there on a regular basis anyways.

Schultzy 11-03-2007 06:32 AM

I've wounded one animal in 20 years of bow hunting so i've been real fortunate so far. When i was 16 i hit a bear in the foot (Leg bone) and the arrow went in about a 1/2" or so. During the blood trail about 200 yards from where i hit him he dug up a bee hive in the ground so we then quit tracking him knowing that he was ok. Its a bummer when a person wounds a deer gun or bow hunting but thats part of hunting! As long as a person is doing it ethicly then it isn't so bad but there's always them bad apples out there who year after year are doing this and taking stupid and bad shots and not having any ethics in there hunting and then going to the bar and bragging about the deer they didn't find. Some things are better left then said with these type of folks, there just making the rest of us look bad!

Schultzy 11-03-2007 06:34 AM

Hang in there kiddo! Its part of hunting, maybe its just a question of concentration or something. Good luck!

HunterKel 11-03-2007 06:38 AM

I've shot over two deer. It happens to a lot of hunters. It just takes some more practice.

hurley0816 11-03-2007 08:07 AM

I have definiatly learned from my mistakes and now know what to expect from buck fever. next timeI'll get er done!