Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Homemade Deer Popcorn Ball attractant >

Homemade Deer Popcorn Ball attractant

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Deer Popcorn Ball attractant

Old 11-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Homemade Deer Popcorn Ball attractant

Baiting is not legal here in NY, but I think some people get carried away with the ethics. Some people say it is not ethical to kill an animal. I strongly disagree. But, is there that much difference between taking a popcorn ball out with you or finding a couple of oak trees and setting up on them? Or, better yet, hunting in an orchard or corn field?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 AM

Gundeck,
Thank you for your reply. I hunt south Texas. My area is void of Acorn trees, corn fields, and orchards. My lease has lots of deer most years roaming around within it. It is made up of mostly of rocky hills, cactus, and tons of mesquite. I sure wish that we had stuff around us like persimmon, natural acorns, apple orchards, large corn fields. I wish we had the type of weather that could sustain growing clovers and all that other green vegetation we see on t.v. all the time in the hunting shows.
But we dont have those things here. We don't have that weather here. All we have is bone chilling mornings, wind and beer. So if you asking me if there is a difference, then I say YES.
You bet there is. I grunt, I try to stay scent free, I get out there early, I try to keep things quiet around my lease, and I damn sure try to put out any scent and attractant that might give me a level playing field with those clever animals with such a strong sense of survival. In the end, we just get lucky I guess. I wouldn't fish around here (not much water anyways around here) without a fishin' pole, or a hook. I have gotta use my favorite lure for that lunker. Maybe I should just cup my hands in the water and wait for something to swim by, the old school way. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Spicy situation! Ha! Ha!

BTW Welcome to the forum.

Again Dude if it's legal (watching my spelling) go for it! Let us know what you find out. Best of luck.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:45 AM

Big Papa,

Geez-Louise. This subject is a little spicy. I do appreciate what other people think though. Even though they cannot spell (my spelling is not up to PAR either).This forum is pretty darn good though. It is very informative, at least I think so. In the end,most of us are lucky enough to be hunting because welove it, and not because we have to. Go figure.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:41 PM

Hey j,
I live in North Texas but hunt all over Tejas! I am using a persimmon hard cooked deer lick called Fusion and it has worked great so far this year. www.iscrewfusion.com or go to Cabelas, Gander Mtn... stuff works great, last a long time and the deer seem to really like the persimmon flavor. Try it and tell me what you think.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jennarabellelouie

Thank you for your replys to my questions. I think I'm gonna try making some mineral/peanut butter/ acorn balls and see what happens. I'm gonna try the peanut butter lick also. We'll see what else comes inas far as ideas.

By the way, "Leagal", should be spelled "Legal", and PA is the size of my back yard out here in TEXAS. I can't just go out there after work to scout. My lease is 400+miles away. -USN veteran, VA Medical Center Employee.

I apologize for my lack of spelling skills, you are a better person then I am. Oh, and you live in a BIG state. That makes you more or a man then anyone else out here. Baiting deer in so you can SHOOT them is not HUNTING! Go out on your big expensive hunting lease and hunt your damn near tame deer and have a hoot. I don't really care. I'll go out and hunt my tail off on public access land. What ever get you going. Have Fun!!!

BTW "Replys" is spelled "replies" and i downloaded iSpell so i can now spell check all messages
Old 11-03-2007, 07:19 PM

My brother used to use some much peanut butter for deer that some people gave him the nickname of SKIPPY
Old 11-04-2007, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Hi, I read in an article that you could make your own deer attractant using microwave popcorn mixed with warm peanut butter. You make balls out of these two ingredients and throw them out near your favorite hunting spot. I wonder if you could mix in some Buck Jam with that for some hitting power? Is popcorn bad for deer? I'm just looking for a bette edge, is all?
Thanks. What do you think.
I haven't done it, but I heard that all you need to do is pop the popcorn.
And just pour it on the ground and, the deer will eat it.

If you want to make popcorn balls I would mix the peanut butter and, Buck Jam before putting it with the popcorn.

I think it's baiting and would not really want to use it any more than I would sit on a box of apples.
How would this be any different than sitting at an apple tree or acorn tree?

If its Legal don't knok it.

JMHO
Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 AM

Thank you for pointing out the breaking story about TEXAS and it's size. I can now sleep better knowing that one soul within your county in the "Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania", also known as "The Quaker State" I might add, hascome to terms with this troubling news.

Did you know that in colonial times, this grand state of yours was called the "Quaker province"? Your great state is also home to the original Declaration of Independence. I have stood in the awe-inspiring room where it was written up and signed. This amazing place is located in Philly and is called "Independence Hall", in case your wondering. I don't want to change sports on you here, but I have to. How 'bout them Cowboys. They took it to the E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!

Here is another fast fact for you.99% of TEXAS (I gotta type it in Capitals to give my respect to it's great size) is private property (99%, yes, 99%). Therefore, when you talk to, chat with, Forum with, hang out with, any hunter from Texas, you won't assume that we can just go out into public woods at the drop of a "peso" (what we say out here in WEST TEXAS). There is a lottery for getting an oppurtunity to hunt the 1% of private land along with the thousands, upon thousands of other hunters looking to step foot into these patches of land. Since you have pointed it out to me, I will try to do some real un-tame deer and turkey hunting (by your definition) for a change.But you know what? Even thosetame deer have a wonderfully strong and clever instict to survive, as theymake their way across free roaming property lines (that is of course, when they are not at the local Denny's havingcrossiants and english tea).

Hey, thanks for pointing out my inability to spell correctly also. Truly, I will also work on that. I had already pointed out this fault of mine in reply 14 to our forum buddy, and oneof the bestoutdoorsman I know,"Mr.Big Papa".

Thanks for your replys (just kiddingwith you, Pahntr760), I mean, "replies"
Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 AM

play nice guys

Quick Reply: Homemade Deer Popcorn Ball attractant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.