Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Have we gotten out of control?!?! >

Have we gotten out of control?!?!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have we gotten out of control?!?!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Have we gotten out of control?!?!

Yes it has "gotten out of control" to some extent. We as hunters are just preyed upon as any other consumer. Targeted marketing,mass product exposure and endorsements. Then we buy, buy, buy kinda without thinking because the "thinking" has been done for us.

One of the biggest jokes in my opinion are these scent suits. Of course you don't want to hunt with Old Spice on you, but clearly what emits the most odor from a guy is his breath.Another thing I get a kick out of is the rage over expandable broadheads. Your basic Thunderhead will kill a deer just fine - they've been doing it for years and years. One good shot with 3 (or 2) blade and you've got yourself a deer.

Oh and it is common knowledge now that if your bow won't do nearly 300 (or +) fps I think the arrows bounce off the deer.

[]
Old 10-31-2007, 07:13 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I haven't spend anywhere near 4K on hunting gear in my life. So, when the time came, i was able to come up with 4K to make the down payment on 19 acres of hunting woods.
Shows you have your priorities in order. For that Imight even consider getting a second job!
Old 10-31-2007, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guilty of buying some stuff that I don't "need" because I can afford it now and couldn't before.

I hadn't hunted in years and didn't even have my own rifle. All the guns I used as a kid actually belonged to my dad. This year I bought a Nikon Monarch 1200yd Rangefinder, Nikon Monarch 10x42 Binoculars, Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 7mm Rem Mag with a Nikon Monarch 4-12x scope, and several other goodies. I'm sure I could have bought a Remington 710 or whatever that $300 throwaway rifle is labeled now and I already had some $50 Bushnell binoculars and that would have probably done the job, but I sure enjoyed the nicer equipment.

Of course I spent less than $4,000 for all of that even including my non-resident hunting licenses for Montana and the gas for the trip up there and back.

Most of the equipment I bought this year is good enough quality that I will be using it 20 years from now and I think sometimes it is actually cheaper in the long run to buy quality equipment up front than it is to buy cheap and have to replace it several times.

That's my 2 cents. Nathan
Old 10-31-2007, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

BKE,

Unfortunately, if it wasn't for Absolut Vodka and women, I could have bought 80 acres of woods. So, i only get partial credit for having priorities in order.[8D]
Old 10-31-2007, 08:10 AM

Yep, there's some folks who just have too damn much money, and a whole lot of folks who don't have enough. There's something wrong here, but I don't have any answers.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:19 AM

BKE,

Unfortunately, if it wasn't for Absolut Vodka and women, I could have bought 80 acres of woods. So, i only get partial credit for having priorities in order.[8D]

Old 10-31-2007, 08:23 AM

BKE,

Every man's life is a tale of woe, and there's always more woe than tail.

It's all money well spent.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, even the child support
Old 10-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

No we haven't gotten out of control.
All we have here is someone who has plenty of money and wants to invest in high-cost hunting apparrel.
What is wrong with that?

Plus, we should appreciate the fact that he is a fellow hunter.

I'm old school because I'm old...and have little or no use for a lot of hunting stuff on the market today.
I could care less what other folks want to spend on their hunting gear.
If you want it and can afford it - goforit!

It is their right....Good luck to them!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Spike

Amajorityof the current boone and crockett and pope and young records were killed before any of that stuff existed. How did they do that? Ummm... probably because if you use you brain a little, you could simply hunt downwind of where the deer come from. I guess that shows some people are willing to just pull out their checkbook rather than use simple strategies to hunt. A sign of laziness and lack of woods knowledge. Im sure that stuff probably does give him an edge, but necessary?...far from it

Quick Reply: Have we gotten out of control?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.