Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have we gotten out of control?!?!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have we gotten out of control?!?!

ORIGINAL: waiting_for_a_gift

Yep, there's some folks who just have too damn much money, and a whole lot of folks who don't have enough. There's something wrong here, but I don't have any answers.
That's America. Other than some people in special circumstances, we can be as sucessful as we want depending up on howhard you want to work for it.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Being a sucker is an expensive proposition, the most I've ever spent on a hunting related item was my lifetime license, and that's reuseable until I die.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is guys like him who keep the likes of BassPro and Cabela's in business so I can buy neat hunting equipment from them! Obviously you don't need that stuff to go hunting. If the guy has money to burn to buy all that stuff, more power to him. I think it becomes a question of personal hunting style. I like to go out and hunt without camo -- wearing green wool military surplus trousers and red-checked wool shirt. I like these clothes, they are very comfortable in the woods and adopt very well to outdoors conditions. I own camoflage pants and shirt and jacket that match well to my conditions, but I like this other outfit better. Sometimes I wear the camo and sometimes I wear the wool. I have shot deer both ways.

I'm of the mind that fundamental woodsmanship pays greater dividends than the fancy equipment. If you really know your stuff, I imagine you can get yourself into a ground blind next to a funnel you have located and nab your deer opening morning at 35 yards with an open sighted .30-06 wearing a pimp suit. The game may be different when hunting for trophy bucks and bow hunting, but I hunt with modern rifle for meat and don't care a lick about antler size, and am more happy with a doe than a buck.

When I first started deer hunting I was particularly susceptible to the desire to buy hunting gear. As I have hunted longer, I am less seduced by these fancy devices. A head-lamp is a good tool to have. A good knife is a good tool to have. A backpack to carry stuff -- water bottle, tags, snack food, clothes as you shed them with the warming temperatures throughout the day -- is something I like, but others do without this. Warm clothes. That is about the end of the list. I use a good quality rifle chambered in a powerful deer cartridge with a good scope sight, but I could effectively kill deer with a much lower quality set up. I'm using a .25-06 scoped with a Leopold VariX-III 3.5-10x 40 mm scope. I used to wash my clothes every night in scent free soap and shower every morning in scent free soap and brush my teeth with baking soda. I shot deer then. I also shot deer when I didn't follow that regime and didn't shower. Last year I got skunked. I missed a shot opening morning and didn't get any further opportunities. I am not buying that it was because I didn't wear camo and didn't wash in scent free soap.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Alsatian

It is guys like him who keep the likes of BassPro and Cabela's in business so I can buy neat hunting equipment from them! Obviously you don't need that stuff to go hunting. If the guy has money to burn to buy all that stuff, more power to him. I think it becomes a question of personal hunting style. I like to go out and hunt without camo -- wearing green wool military surplus trousers and red-checked wool shirt. I like these clothes, they are very comfortable in the woods and adopt very well to outdoors conditions. I own camoflage pants and shirt and jacket that match well to my conditions, but I like this other outfit better. Sometimes I wear the camo and sometimes I wear the wool. I have shot deer both ways.

I'm of the mind that fundamental woodsmanship pays greater dividends than the fancy equipment. If you really know your stuff, I imagine you can get yourself into a ground blind next to a funnel you have located and nab your deer opening morning at 35 yards with an open sighted .30-06 wearing a pimp suit. The game may be different when hunting for trophy bucks and bow hunting, but I hunt with modern rifle for meat and don't care a lick about antler size, and am more happy with a doe than a buck.

hahahah.. That cracks me up.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I spent 500 this year on some new stuff for myself and my girlfriend and i felt guilty about that[&:]
Old 11-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cowboy4513

I spent 500 this year on some new stuff for myself and my girlfriend and i felt guilty about that[&:]
some people are just too proud to shop at wal-mart, ect. Me, im not one of them. $500 for 2 people is do-able. Plus, walmart does carry Remington brand camo and its a whole hell of alot cheaper then BassPro/Cabelas. Thats for sure!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:07 PM

To each their own. IMO what a waste. At least he still recognizes the fun/importance of hunting I guess.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

i can't comment because i spent about $2,500.00 this year. however mine was for a new centerfire rifle and new muzzle loader. i also had to equip both with optics and such. then i bought a new climbing treestand (so i could hunt different locations without pulling my stand each time). last of all i needed new camo, which was under $100. my old camo was so faded it looked white.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the world of trophy hunters and tv. Some turd on TV told everyone that they absolutely have to have this crap and they buy it... literally.
I don't hunt for the rack. I don't brag about trophies. I don't even keep trophies.
I have alot more respect for the guy who pays 500 bucks for his whole outfit and shoots a doe than some yahoo that pays over a grand in camo, pays a guide 4000 to put him on top of a deer that they put on a message board at cabelas.... and he shoots it with a rifle at 100 yards.

If My truck would burn to the ground (hopefully). with all my stuff in it... I would be out about 2 grand. truck included.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Does paying $99.95 for a blow-up doll in camo bra and panties to keep me company in the deer stand qualify as extravagant? [8D]

Quick Reply: Have we gotten out of control?!?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.