Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer stand placement

Old 10-30-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Deer stand placement

OK so I’ve finally joined a hunt club. We have over 3300 acres of property in Patrick County, Virginia, Surry, Yadkin and Wilkes Counties in North Carolina. I just started hunting about 3 years ago with my step dad on some land were all the stands were already there.

So my question is other than the normal looking for trails, droppings, buck rubs, feeding locations, bedding areas and other deer signs what are some good tips on where to place a stand?

I’ve heard hunt the secondary trials over the heavy traveled trails for better chance at bucks.
I’ve heard hunt where two or more trails intersect.
I’ve heard hunt where there is water, food, and escape path.

So how do you know what is a good place to put a stand and Is there any good sources of info out there to learn about good deer stand placement

Old 10-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer stand placement

It's really hard to say without actually seeing the land, but one of the joys of hunting is learning by figuring it out yourself and learning by making mistakes sometimes and succeeding sometimes.

Read all the information you can get about deer hunting and try to apply it to your situation.

Always consider wind direction.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:22 AM

Default RE: Deer stand placement

Pre-rut, I would look at trails leading to food sources and bedding routes. During the rut, you better be where the does are locatedor on travel routes that lead to where the does are located. Look for natural funnels like a hardwood strip between cutovers, a saddle on a ridge, etc.