Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First deer on the Season

Old 10-31-2007, 05:41 PM

Default RE: First deer on the Season

Looks like he had a rough year. Congrats to your dad on the kill!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

That is a thick neck, did he get shot there? Congrats to your dad. 40 pounds out of a deer that size hope your the butchere cause you are getting ripped off if not(ILL BOY). By the way what in this pictures helps you all to decide how big it is? Ohh must be the leaves i didnt think of that, your all right its gotta only weight 90lbs all together judging by those leaves. .

Once again congrats on the kill

Old 11-01-2007, 07:44 AM

Well there wasn't really any meat ruined by the shot as he was shot high in the neck. only a few inches below his chin. I am not going to argue about the weight of this animal, I along with my family know how much meat we have and unless someone can prove I am wrong ............
Maybewhere some of you are located your deerjust don't get that big........we have very good body size on the deer in our area.....sometimes the antlers don't reflect that........butantlers don't taste thatgoodanyway.
We have bucks here that are in the 250+ range killed every year and does that go 150+.
I just don't understand how someone can guess the size bylooking at a picture.........maybe explain it to me so I can understand

Old 11-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: NBDeerHunter

i like how you guys debat the weight of an animal by a picture. Funny now the scale is wrong and you guys are right.
he has a lot of grey on his face and head.........do you think he is older and just didn't produce much of a rack...

Not that I was judging the deer size, just that you never get 125 lbs of meat from a deer, I would guess 60-75 lbs of meat....but again GOOD DEER!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:52 AM

Stoningtonwhitetail......
You mean to tell me that you have never got a deer that has 125lbs of meat !!!!! WOW,,,,,you must have small deer (body size) in your area. I can honestly say I have never shot a deer that has had less than 80lbs of meat. Most of the does shot in this area average around 100lbs give or take.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: NBDeerHunter

Stoningtonwhitetail......
You mean to tell me that you have never got a deer that has 125lbs of meat !!!!! WOW,,,,,you must have small deer (body size) in your area. I can honestly say I have never shot a deer that has had less than 80lbs of meat. Most of the does shot in this area average around 100lbs give or take.

Well we have very big deer in northern Michigan....I would say a buck that dresses out at 200 lbs is a big buck, but after you skin it (10 % weight), debone it (30%), take the head off (15%), and process the meat, you get about 80-90 lbs (45%) of meat.....

The way I see it, the only way you are going to get 125 lbs of meat is the deer being 277 lbs dressed....and sir....that doesnt happen that often!

Old 11-02-2007, 03:54 AM

Not that we haven't beat this subject to death already, Got our meat back from the butcher last evening and just for curiousity I put it all on the scales to see what we had after it was all cut up and ready for the freezer.
107lbs of meat
Old 11-02-2007, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Weighed twice on bad scales. You can pretty much take the weight of your deer and divide that by 4.. Thats a good measure of how much meat you'll get.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:10 AM

so your telling me this deer was 400+ pounds ????????? wow that is one big deer LMAO
maybe you should try your calculations again instead of telling me my scales are bad.....which they are NOT
Old 11-02-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice little buck congrats to him

Quick Reply: First deer on the Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.