Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is the largest buck you will let pass you on opening day? >

What is the largest buck you will let pass you on opening day?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is the largest buck you will let pass you on opening day?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default What is the largest buck you will let pass you on opening day?

I hunt private land, we practice QDM and allow the smaller bucks to go, however if it is the last day of the season and all I am seeing is small ones (and was not fortunate enough to get a doe tag) and need venison I have taken a 3 or 4-point from time to time...typically I have passed on many 3 and 4-pointers, and I judge a 6-pointer (body size and action) before taking a shot.....
Old 10-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What is the largest buck you will let pass you on opening day?

I would prefer a tender young doe and leave the bucks for my neighbors who are after big racks, so I generally pass on all bucks anyway.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think I would pass up anything under 130" or 2 1/2 years old on opening day. I now own my own land so I'm not going to shoot a young buck on the last day of the season just to put some meat in the freezer, if I need the meat in my freezer I'll shoot a doe.

I think a lot of it has to do with whether you have shot a decent buckor not. If I had never shot a buckit would be hard pressed to passupanything close to decent.

I think in this day and age with trail cameras you have a pretty decent idea of the deer that are likely to be seen on your property and what to expect you might see. I've seen 2 bucks on my camera that I would shoot if I saw them during daylight hours during the season.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

RE: npaden

I agree I would take a doe for venison first as well, if I have the tag, to do so over a young buck. I just stated the above, because I was curious about bucks...we have our own property adjoining land locked federal land, but some years I have been unable to get a doe tag...I typically pass up most basket racks my rule of thumb is 6-7-pointer and 12" spread (if I have the time to judge the spread)

I agree about the "never shot a buck theory"
Old 10-29-2007, 11:23 AM

I hunt in a QDM county where we have to have 4 points on one side. So because of that I'd have to say a 6 pointer would be the biggest I'd pass up. But I would much rather have a fat doe.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:23 AM

Got to follow the old saying "never pass up anything on the first day that you would shoot on the last day". Hate to get to the end of the season and regret letting anything pass.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:08 PM

The largest buck that I would pass up on opening day would be a very small fawn. I'm in it for the venison, and will basically take anything that presents a safe, high percentage shot.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: npaden

I would think I would pass up anything under 130" or 2 1/2 years old on opening day. I now own my own land so I'm not going to shoot a young buck on the last day of the season just to put some meat in the freezer, if I need the meat in my freezer I'll shoot a doe.

I think a lot of it has to do with whether you have shot a decent buckor not. If I had never shot a buckit would be hard pressed to passupanything close to decent.

I think in this day and age with trail cameras you have a pretty decent idea of the deer that are likely to be seen on your property and what to expect you might see. I've seen 2 bucks on my camera that I would shoot if I saw them during daylight hours during the season.
Ditto...

I passed up on two 2 1/2 year olds. Waiting for a P&Y to pass by. I am fortunate in that I have a reasonable chance to get one. Now...if my hunt was limited, or I needed the meat, I may choose a different path.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:55 PM

seeing as i aint been fortunate enough to shoot a buck yet, if a whitetail passes me with a set of any size antlers, im after him, dont get me wrong, if a big buck walks in, ill shoot him before i would the small one lol..but once i get the first buck stage down, ill prolly start lookin for the nice ones
Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

140 or better in Wi.
Meat hunt in SC.

Quick Reply: What is the largest buck you will let pass you on opening day?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.