HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Tresspassing fines (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/214574-tresspassing-fines.html)

furgitter 10-28-2007 03:18 PM

Tresspassing fines

I think here the fine for tresspassing is 350.00. I was just wondering what everyone elses is. And wouldnt it be nice if the land owner got to keep the fine money after its paid?
( Mabe I spend too much time in the woods thinking)

TimberCreek 10-28-2007 04:48 PM

RE: Tresspassing fines

I believe it is up to $500 here. Very weak laws protect property owners and their property. Trespassing with a weapon can become criminal trespass whichis a whole new ballgame. Then there is trespass where the criminal stole or damaged the property. All of which can be allot higher fines or jail time in excess of the basic trespassing.Where there is Unposted or Unfenced property there could be an honest mistake, but on land that is properly posted and fenced the trespasser is breaking the law and is fully aware of it.Confrontingatrepasser with a weapon is tricky and life threatening. If they do not imediately put the weapon down your life is at risk and you may have to defend yourself. As the law says: "if you reasonably believe you are at risk of serious bodily harm or death" If the gun barrel goes in your direction I say shoot first, hash it out later.

MontanaVet 10-28-2007 05:17 PM

We had something like that happen here on Montana. Young guys burglarizing cabins are confronted by a angry land owner. The land owner fires his shotgun,what directionno one knows, and the perps shoot him with a 30.06 they stole. The DA called it self defense and did not have any witness to say different. They walked on murder charges and only prosecuted for burglary. If you intend to kill someone, you better get it right. MV out!

furgitter 10-28-2007 05:31 PM

Nobody asked about shooting anyone, lets stay on topic here guys.

andy da animal 10-28-2007 05:35 PM

i dont know what the fines are here, but i think they should be way higher than that!!!! i think if we raised the fines a whole lot then give a quarter of the fine to the landowner/or that states department of natural resources, and the other three quarters go to the officer, or person responsible for catching the trespaser! if you did it that way maybe the cops would be a bit more inclined to help crack down on trespasiners, plus like Timber said, handleing a trespaser can be deadly, and is always dangerous! guess thats just my thinking!

thinktwicez71 10-28-2007 05:38 PM

i think in ny trespassing with a firearm is a felony !