Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dead deer,sink or float

Old 10-26-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Dead deer,sink or float

Who has shot a deer and have it jump in deep water and expired . Did it float or sink?

[/align]
Old 10-26-2007, 11:09 AM

Default RE: Dead deer,sink or float

Sinks at first... then floats.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine all floated right away. Hollow hair, you people who tie flies and poppers know what im talking about.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

And you ask this question because????
Old 10-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Ummm this isnt a genral knowledge question
Old 10-26-2007, 03:09 PM

I just put up a stand on the bank of the illinios river ,I know I'll kill a good buck there.It is the only cover for a mile and the deer tracks tell me they enter the river alot and do not come out so I know they are crossing there.There is a good chance he may try and cross after the shot and expair in the river.This has had to ofhappened to alot of hunters .I have seen it 3 times ,every time the water was shallow enough to expose a part and I was able to wade out and retreive them .but the deeper water I do not know about. I think I'll carry a ceap raft in the truck justin case.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:22 PM

im not an expert, but i have heard that the way Police determine when a body is dumped in the water, or if it drown... is by float or sink..
i think, that if your deer goes in.. still alive, and breathing.. and he breathes enough water into his lungs.. and actually DROWNS before he dies from the actual Bullet/arrow wound.. he might sink. with water in the lungs.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:00 PM

A buddy hunting with me shot a nice buck a few years ago, and we trailed it to a pond, and then lost the trail at the waters edge. I looked into the pond thinking the deer may have gone into the water, and there was nothing. We spent 2 hours looking for blood around the pond to determine where the buck had gone, and nothing to be found, then as we were getting ready to leave and retrace out trail, I notice the deer floating in the pond, he sank for a while, then floated back up.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

Sink at first, float at later would be my guess.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lost a nice 4x4 a couple of years back when after he was shot he ran into a swamp. Heard the spash and waded near my crotch for over 2 hours and never did find him. They sink like a rock.

Quick Reply: Dead deer,sink or float

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.