Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Call me a woosy

Old 10-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Call me a woosy

Call me a woosy but im kinda nervous about shootin openen day I havent shot in a while last year i didnt kill a deer but I killed a hog.....I also had a infortunate hunt last year I clipped a does leg It was at the edge of the woods .......long story but anyway i know pull trigger slowly dont rush most of all....have a good time prayers for safety and luck on openin day for every good outdoorsmen or outdoorswoman dont get me wrong im sooooo excited when openin day comes i cant sleep!! i lovvvveeeee deer hunting i just feel a lil nervous
Old 10-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Call me a woosy

Iwouldnt call you a woosy, but i would sugest getting out to the target range, and running a couple rounds through your gun! if you are nervous about shooting before you ever hit the stand, it will be in the back of your mind when you are squezing the trigger! And that never ends well for you or the animal![&:]Gotta make sure you are confident about your shooting, and comftroble with the gun, if your not then you need to think about a new gun or get some more practice in! Good luck!!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nervous, woozy on opening day........ never! I'm excited like a young child on X-mas eve. The sighting in and comfort with the weapon of choice has been done long B4 the season starts. Take another mans rifle on a hunt ........ blasphemy. Then I don't have a chance to blame anyone but myself! Get your own stuff or get organized B4 the season starts. I hope that nothing comes out in front of you farther than 100yds.,....... mr I grabbed my buudies rifle for thefirst time today an I want to shoot a deer at 250yds.
Personally if I knowa shot may be offered (at game) at a certain distance I will not ake it unless Iknow that I can make the shot. My .30-06 has a max range of 300yds(6-8" group at that distance) and my 6.5x55mmSM has a max range of 250yds. Don't look at ballistic tables, every rifle is different! Knowyour rifle and shoot accordingly[X(]
Old 10-26-2007, 07:05 AM

B reathe.....wait till the exhal
R elax your body
A im Make sure you have a good sight picture
S Queeze the trigger with the fat part of the tip of your finger

remember those steps with a sighted gun and you are good to go....its all fundamentals of shooting, if you are shooting Iron Sights most importantly keep the same sight picture.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Woosy
Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now seriously. You HAVE to get out and practice, practice, practice.

You may not want to hear this but I hope you're a big boy and can take your medicine. More than that I'm saying it because hopefully it will sink in and you will not do it again.

Your "shot" last year sounds like it might have been quite unethical. I understand it was not your gun - had you practiced with it enough to become proficient with it?

This is where practice, practice, practice comes in. Knowing your ability and limitation with the weapon.

Choose only shots you are fully confident you can accomplish. Shots that will cleanly and quickly take the animal.

There is nothing worse than a lead slinger! I hear it every year on opening morning of firearms season. Some boner gets a deer in his sight and unloads on it. BLAM! - BLAM!BLAM! - BLAM! - BLAM!

Good luck on opening day. Ya know taking a good couple minutes and having a few words with the Man above can do wonders to settle ya down.