Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

were do they go

Old 10-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default were do they go

I swear deer go invisible once the season starts. I have been fairly lucky seen a few deer but where do those big ones go? I have seen them ever once in while.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: were do they go

Big deer don't get big by being stupid, once the season starts they're very aware that we're in the woods with them and they react by limiting their exposure and hiding. If we stumble upon their hiding place it's usually by accident. One of the biggest bucks I've ever seen was laying behind a fairly small log just inside the tree line of a woods I was exploring for yellowroot. He waited until I was about 20' from him before he exploded out from behind that log, scared the crap out of me. Another time one blew from a shallow ditch as I was crossing a recently cut bean field, I would've sworn that the field couldn't possibly have hidden something that big. The real bruisers are almost exclusively nocturnal, and who could blame them? They've learned from experience that not only is it safer at night, but that's also when the majority of the breeding takes place. Having spent many an evening chasing split tailed lounge does I can see why they do this.