Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bedded giants..need help!!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Bedded giants..need help!!

Hey guys...I know exactly were more than one good buck has bedded down for the day on more than one occasion and unfortunately all I could do was watch from 48-50 yards for 4-6 hours. Sometimes I have even seen different bucks in the bed within the same day. I know a tree that is on a bluff exactly above this spot that they lay in, that would put me 30-35 feet above. I can get to this spot wihout stepping a foot on the area they are traveling. Is this something I should consider? Please help with any advice.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bedded giants..need help!!

Its risky, but it can work. Get up the tree early, and make sure you don't stink.
They bed there because they know its a safe spot. You definitely don't want to spook them there.
Is there anyway to catch them in between the feeding area and bedding area?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Practice at 50 yds till you can take the shot!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

What JoeyG said.
Or if you know when they are feeding you can get up in the tree.. even if it is the middle of the night and wait til theycome back. But the wind MUST be right. If the wind is not predictable and it shifts then you will blow it. If you are talking about going there in the morning you stand a better chance with the wind because once the sun comes out your scent will rise. In the evening your scent will flow down, which would not work when you are above them.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't risk it. If I was you check out where they are coming from and where they are leaving. Find a good tree along one of those trails and hope like heck you get lucky and they walk by. Make sure you pay attention to wind, you don't want them to smell ya. The most important thing thoughis I would not go near the bedding ground just stay on trails to and from the bedding area.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:00 PM

take a rifle
Old 10-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Banned

48-50 yards
take the shot - I assume you use a compound bow or ?? very makeable shot
Old 10-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't take the shot a big buck plus a shot you aren't sure you can make and your off target (shooting is 90% mental). If you can watch them just out of range watch the trails they are traveling and setup on that trail 100 yds away. If they wind you they will still think the bedding area is safe and you can start over but if you go in his bedroom he'll change zip codes.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:37 AM

get in there before they do. obviously the wind needs to be right. go for it.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Tell me where you're hunting and fly me there. I'll be back with him by the end of the day.

Quick Reply: Bedded giants..need help!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.