Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Climbing Stand Noisy any Suggestions? >

Climbing Stand Noisy any Suggestions?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Climbing Stand Noisy any Suggestions?

Old 10-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Climbing Stand Noisy any Suggestions?

Hello,

I have a nice Baker Style Tree stand; however, I find it fairly noisy to climb trees with. I have to under four screws to get it around trees and I see to always get one of the parts of the stand hit on another as I wrap it around the tree. Also, I have trouble racheting up pine trees without making a bit of noise. I hunt public land where most people use climbers so I believe that the deer really know that is making this noise. Are there any secrets to use a climber to make it quiter?

In addition, my safety belt is nylon. As I climb the tree I push the belt up the tree. This also makes noise. Any suggestion on hunting safetlybut with less noise?

I am seriously thinking of hunting on the ground. I mainly hunt archery so being close range being in a tree would be nice, but not if it means I scare them out of the area as I get up the tree.

Any suggestoins would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
CB
Old 10-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Climbing Stand Noisy any Suggestions?

I have a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb that is silent while climbing, you may need to look into a new type of stand. The Baker styles have to many moving parts. But that is just what I think. Also maybe slow down a little? I had a Summit that if I tried to hurry would make noise, but if I took my time it was pretty quite.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

If it's mechanical it will make noise no matter what you do. Taking your time and being deliberate in your moves will help control the noise factor.
Anything and everything that is mechanical or electrical WILL, at one time or another, BREAK DOWN.
and thats a fact.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

My brothers 2 climbers have been modified with some heavy acrylic washers between the metal components....he swears by it. Read it in Outdoor Life years back, I guess.

I have 3 stands that all make some noise of some sort. I sprayed "Great Stuff" expandable foam in my square tubing where there were openings and also filled my one set of climbing sticks with it. Minimal weight was added.

I let my gun/bow hoist rope with caribeener clip down one year and it hit the tubing on the sticks, and one year falling ice that melted off the stand was hitting the steps. Now you'd hardly hear it if that were to happen again.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Honccho12 and PM69442,

Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah, I should work to go slower that would probuably help a bunch. I guess I am hyped up and ready to get up in my stand. I will work to go slower. Buy yeah my Baker Style stand has a bit bunch of steps to get it set up. I do want a new stand, but that will have to wait for a few years. I will just move slower and take my time.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 10-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Canned Heat,

Great idea on the foam.

Cheers,
CB