Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Open Season Movie

Old 10-19-2007, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Open Season Movie

Came home from work the other day and my 4year old boy was watching the movie "Open Season", so I sat down to watch some of it and just started getting hot. The "hunter" in the movie was portrayed as a total whackjob out to kill this bear and a mulie with total reckless abandon. I don't think I want to let my son watch a kids movie written by anti's out toportray villians out of hunter. Any of you with young future hunters seen this movie? What doyou think, overreacting or not? How many of you have noticed this kind of crap in alot of kids shows these days?
Old 10-19-2007, 05:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Open Season Movie

It is indeed rampant in children's fare these days, but nothing to obsess over so long as your child is given a fair opposing view. Education is the key to keeping his mind open, explain to him that it's just a silly cartoon and most hunters are nothing like the buffoons in the movie. Taking him out with you and showing him that real hunters are largely ethical, caring stewards of the herd and land will go miles toward giving him the right impression.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

We've seen it. We didn't get the anti-hunting vibe from it. There was only one whackjob hunter in the movie, yet there were at least a dozen hunters in it. There are people like that out there sadly enough.

Plenty to laugh about and yet both of my sons (11 and 2) still want to hunt. As long as the DVD case doesn't say "A portion of the proceeds go to help your local PETA chapter..." or similar, I'm fine with it.

Now you have to admit, the bathroom break scene in the woods was hilarious.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

I watched it with both my boys and while that thought ran through my mind, I realized it was just a cartoon. Bambi was the same thing in a sense. It is unfortunate that there are guys like the one in the movie walking aroung the woods.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nathan67: For your son, this experience is likely to arm him against negative hunting and/or anti-gun propaganda in the future. Growing up with a first hand experience of watching you hunt and seeing what hunting is all about -- lawful, regulated hunting leading to taking of game meat which is then featured on the family dinner table. I haven't seen this cartoon, but I didn't like the basic premise of the movie -- hunting is like a war or terrorism on animals. Commonly these movies show nature in a very idealistic and unrealistic fashion and depict hunters to be out-of-step with the beauty of the natural world. I remember in the movie Bambi, perhaps the first of this genre, all the animals of the forest -- grouse, rabbits, squirrels, owls -- are depicted as one happy, supportive family. Last time I checked, owls like to eat grouse, rabbits, and squirrels. Rather than old, affable, wise owl talking to these little creatures, more likely he would be sweeping down in a silent plunge with his talons open ready to rip into the flesh of any callow rabbit not guarding against this eventuality and eat that bunny for dinner! That is the way of nature, and hunters, as top predator, are very much part of that "circle of life" phenomenon.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

It is indeed rampant in children's fare these days, but nothing to obsess over so long as your child is given a fair opposing view. Education is the key to keeping his mind open, explain to him that it's just a silly cartoon and most hunters are nothing like the buffoons in the movie. Taking him out with you and showing him that real hunters are largely ethical, caring stewards of the herd and land will go miles toward giving him the right impression.
That about nails it.

I take my boys (5, 3) and sometimes my 2 year old daughter out to scout, build blinds, track shot deer, processing. They watch the animal movies, but already know the truth, so I don’t have a problem with them. In fact after we found my deer this year, I suggested we watch Bambi! They have separated Disney from reality.

The important thing is to make you kids a part of hunting, and not use hunting to escape your kids!

Old 10-19-2007, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Nathan67

Came home from work the other day and my 4year old boy was watching the movie "Open Season", so I sat down to watch some of it and just started getting hot. The "hunter" in the movie was portrayed as a total whackjob out to kill this bear and a mulie with total reckless abandon. I don't think I want to let my son watch a kids movie written by anti's out toportray villians out of hunter. Any of you with young future hunters seen this movie? What doyou think, overreacting or not? How many of you have noticed this kind of crap in alot of kids shows these days?
Yeah it is too bad that the antis are always looking corupt our youth with fantasy and lies, but as already said, making sure your children are exposed to the facts will win out.
By the way, are you stationed at Ft. Campbell or a civilian employee?
I ask as I went through Ft. Campbell going and coming back from Iraq in 2003.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:28 AM

campbell always has folks coming and going...most of the BCTs have left now though
Old 10-19-2007, 02:53 PM

I didn't think it was anti-hunting. They had one bad hunter in it but i didn't get the sense that they were condeming hunting.

Have you ever seen the move "The Bear". Wow, now that is an anti hunting movie. At the end there is a message from the humane society stating that it condemns all forms of hunting. It's funny,most of these anti's haven't the slighest clue about animals. In "The Bear" there's a scene of a grizzly chasing what appears to be red stags in alaska...idiots.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:46 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys, thanks for the input. When I posted this I had'nt watched the whole movie yet, and it wasn't that bad, just had one bad character that was a hunter as stated above. I'm sure not enough to influence my kids more than myself spending time in the woods with them, and it was pretty funny. Thats not to say there are not some extremely anti-hunting, as well as enviro-nutjob-vegi-vegans making alot of kids cartoons these days.

However, we've got one more on our side as of today at 0939 - Noah Luke 6 lb 5 oz, already in camo "onsies". Hope to get some pics up soon. This makes the third boy in my army of Buck and Duck slayers.

Speaking of which, I'm stationed here with the Division, we dont head out to Afghanistan untill February '08.

Quick Reply: Open Season Movie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.