Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

super shotgun slugs

Old 10-18-2007, 03:51 PM

Default super shotgun slugs

Hornady has a shotgun slug that is 2000 fps(20guage) and remingtonhas a slug that goes 1900 fps(20 guage)
Hornady has a ballistic tipand remington has a hollow point. They are both for a rifled barrel. I am planning on using one of them for deer hunting.Does anyone have any experence with these?Ever heard of them at least???And which one should I use?

Old 10-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: super shotgun slugs

The Hornady SST is the best slug I've ever fired. Accuracy is fantastic! I have used the SST's for 3 years now and they are not only extremely accurate, but they are cheaper than the Remington and Winchester slugs by a long shot! Buy a box and test them out, I doubt you will be disappointed. Good Luck.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those Hornady slugs are monsters!!!! i used them last year and plan on using them this year!!!! just a sugestion though! if you havent sighted in your slug gun yet purchase WOLF slugs and run a few of them through your gun. get it to where you are shooting pretty close to perfect, then switch to the Hornadyslugs! the Hornady's are obviously quite a bit more money, and the wolf slugs shoot close to the same, up until you are shooting at 60 yards or more! thats when the wolfs start droping while the Hornady's are still flying straight and true!!!! just something that might be able to save you some cash!!!! never used the remingtons! i would most definatly recomend the Hornadys!!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the Remington core lokts but didn't like the recoil in my 12ga. rifled 870. Make sure you test them first as all slugs shoot different.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

Another vote for the Hornady SST's - best performing slugs I have ever shot and the recoil isn't that bad out of the 11-87. But your going to want to use whatever groups best. Take Andy's advice and buy some cheep slugs just to get you on the paper and then switch to the Hornady's and Remington ans see what performs better.

Tom
Old 10-19-2007, 05:49 AM

bought an 870 three years ago. used remingtons the first year, switched to hornadays last season. they were both real good but i will be sticking with the hornadays. they are very accurate, you'll feel like you're using a rifle. well, except for your shoulder.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Chalk up another fan of the Hornady SST's. Used them last year, but only on paper (took my 2 deer in rifle zone), and they are as accurate as you'll find. They were only available in WI last year in 2-3/4". Don't know if that's true this year. I used to use Brenneke Rottweils prior to that.

My brother is a big fan of the Federal Premium Barnes Expander Sabots.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

I use the Lightfield hybred slugs. They may not be as fast as the hornady but at 100 yards I can put three rounds on a piece of paper the size of my hand. Plus I've got about 44 rounds left of the Lightfield slugs. I know they work because I've shot at three deer and the one who only made it 25 yards after I shot him. These rounds put the deer down. Two deer I've shot with them get hit and it looks like they are learning to break dance.[8D]
Old 10-19-2007, 09:33 AM

I'm shooting the Hornady SST's out of my H&R Ultra Slug in 20 ga. and will not shoot anything else. Tight groups and great knockdown power.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Newhunter1 at work

I use the Lightfield hybred slugs. They may not be as fast as the hornady but at 100 yards I can put three rounds on a piece of paper the size of my hand. Plus I've got about 44 rounds left of the Lightfield slugs. I know they work because I've shot at three deer and the one who only made it 25 yards after I shot him. These rounds put the deer down. Two deer I've shot with them get hit and it looks like they are learning to break dance.[8D]
right on! they pack a punch....about 3700 ft./lbs worth at the muzzle.

as far as the super fance high velocity slugs out there. sure they are great, if the group. unless you barrel has a 1:28 twist odds are they wont... slugs like the buckhammer, hastings slugs, have an attached in-flight sabot and are super accurate, 1.25" groups @ 100 with a rest off a bench of course.

Quick Reply: super shotgun slugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.