Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting Fawns?

Old 10-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shooting Fawns?

When you clarified and said 7 month old deer then it sounds better, that is a yearling.. I call any deer over about 4 months old as a yearling. Fawns are (to me) spotted or recently spotted little deer.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

When you clarified and said 7 month old deer then it sounds better, that is a yearling.. I call any deer over about 4 months old as a yearling. Fawns are (to me) spotted or recently spotted little deer.
A yearling is an animal between one year of age and two years of age. A 7 month old deer is a fawn. You can call a 4 month old fawn a yearling if you want to, but I don't know a deer manager in this country who calls a 4 month old deer anything other than what it is, a fawn.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:26 PM

I agree with KoBear if it's legal and it is not going to waste shoot it grill it and enjoy.I would never shoot a deer with spots but I have shot a few young deer and enjoyed the meat very much.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:17 PM

I would shoot the fawns hell thay taste better but yeah there the frist to die up hear in the north plus it takes one less mouth off your land to help the outher deer make it past the winter plus if that gets bread it will keep getting having smaller and smaller fawns
Old 10-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

Let the fawns grow.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

everyone says "fawns are the best meat", the classic way to church up shooting a bambi. all the bucks i shoot seem to have tender meat. a good rule of thumb is if its smaller than your dog...DONT SHOOT
Old 10-20-2007, 10:34 AM

ahh shut up kill the fawns they taste good, just no button bucks. There is no difference in my oppinion if you kill the fawn now or wait till its older its still a doe!
Old 10-20-2007, 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Texas Hunter

Let the fawns grow.
you are my new best friend!!! lmao so many people are sayin shoot them who cares, their the first to die, but it doesnt matter!!!!!!! let them freakin grow!!!!!

"everyone says "fawns are the best meat", the classic way to church up shooting a bambi. all the bucks i shoot seem to have tender meat. a good rule of thumb is if its smaller than your dog...DONT SHOOT" (ReDoT)

i am agreeing 100% with both of you!! i stopped coming to this thread because just from reading this i feel bad for the fawns......you can call me soft or what ever, but imagine if you were a Doe and you were with your fawn, and then the fawn gets shot, then what??? if everybody get into the habbit of killing young deer because they taste good, then the population with decrease rapidly what ever thats my opinion idc what you think
goodluck and dont shoot the small deer!!!lol
Old 10-21-2007, 09:39 AM

A question for those opposed to shooting fawns: Are you opposed to eating veal and lamb also? Or is it a “macho” thing to not shoot fawns? The only reason I’ve seen for not shooting fawns is the false argument that it will negatively impact the herd.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

deer manager
Whats a deer manager?

What are the qualifications?

What are the certifications?

Quick Reply: Shooting Fawns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.