Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting Fawns?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:17 AM

Default RE: Shooting Fawns?

ORIGINAL: Onestringer

Well, as a family we do eat a lot of venison...in fact I buy less than $20 worth of beef all year if we have a good year (between all the game we harvest...or try to). We hunt for the meat more than the horns. If we have a good year, we donate to friends as well as to share the harvest (Missouri program).

Fawn is like veal!! Best venison you'll ever taste. I know there are people who kringe at the thought of people taking a fawn, but if it is what walks in front of me I will fill the freezer and not think twice. That is not to say I wouldn't have taken the doe in the same situation you described...I would have taken whatever presented the best opportunity for a safe, accurate shot.

I won't fault people for horn hunting, if they don't fault me for meat hunting...

Mindy
well said
Old 10-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

By mushey I mean kind of slimy and not like the burger I am used to. Out of the grinder it wasnt red, but sort of pink. Nope, Im not wasting a fawn on the grinder again. Just flop em on the BBq with some mesquite and a good rub. Its so tender you can cut it just by looking at it!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:50 AM

I’d like to thank everyone for there opinions, it has eased my mind on taking a fawn. To summarize my feeling on the subject:

I respect people who are “horn hunters” and will not take the horns of the future by taking a button buck. We meat hunters expect the same respect.

I would not take a spotted fawn! We are talking about 7 month old does.

Somebody suggested taking a camera if I had enough meat, but it wouldn’t be the same. I would think the
People in this forum would understand that. I classify my self as a meat hunter, but if a big 8 point walks in front of me (we have a 4 points on one side minimum on my property) I quickly become a horn hunter! I can find people who want the meat, or I can donate it to the food bank.

In response to kingnn93: From what I’ve read, taking fawns in north climates has less impact on the herd, because fawns are the first to die from harsh winters. This is due to their smaller bodies not being able to retain heat. And we will not be able to kill so many fawns that the future breeding stock is harmed; on the contrary, we reduce stress on already productive does.

I can understand why some people in other areas of the country would want a mature deer with lots of meat. But in Michigan we are blessed with a large herd, and (I think) we can take 4 deer a year. I’m sure we can take 3 antlerless deer, after that it get fussy to me. I don’t take more than two, so I’ve never gotten deep into the regulation.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think any real impact on the herd comes from coyotes, black bears and wolves.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Not even an issue here in Texas. It is unheard of. If the only way you can " fill your freezer " is to kill fawns then go to the grocery store. This is not 1880 where we hunt to survive. This is 2007 were we hunt for sport. Yes, we enjoy venison, but harvesting subadult deer is detromental to the herd and lends into the hands of PETA. If you can afford a rifle/Bow and the legally required permits then I am sure you are not hunting for survival sustinance. Do not mean to upset or offend just stating what I belive and was raised on.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: furgitter

I think any real impact on the herd comes from coyotes, black bears and wolves.
I respectfully disagree with you. Far more deer die from hunters, cars, weather, and disease. Predators take only a small percentage of deer. I forgot the number threat, those nasty poachers.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jlsherr

Not even an issue here in Texas. It is unheard of. If the only way you can " fill your freezer " is to kill fawns then go to the grocery store. This is not 1880 where we hunt to survive. This is 2007 were we hunt for sport. Yes, we enjoy venison, but harvesting subadult deer is detromental to the herd and lends into the hands of PETA. If you can afford a rifle/Bow and the legally required permits then I am sure you are not hunting for survival sustinance. Do not mean to upset or offend just stating what I belive and was raised on.
Taking a few fawns is not going to destroy the herd. The mortality rate is going to be high in some places anyway. I wouldn't make it a common practice taking fawns, but it's perfectly fine to take a few. There are plenty of deer. It won't hurt the population one bit.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every region of the country is differant. Up here, a pack of wolves or coyotes will tear up a deer population in a couple of years. The black bears come right into town in the spring going through brushey lots for the fawns. Theres still car kills, and poaching, and lots get shot during the seasion, but areas with wolves and coyotes are pretty thin for deer.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: jlsherr

That is entirely untrue. Shooting doe fawns helps your fawn crop the next year. Fawns RARELY breed and have a fawn themselves in the next year. Yearling does count as does in your deer survey, but do not have fawns. By shooting a doe fawn, you reduce the number of yearling does... and leave a more mature doe that can have a fawn again the next year.

It is a useful management tool to use to increase fawn crops.

They also are very very tasty.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

as a hunting community, i think that we should never chastize somebody who obeys the law and takes an animal that makes him/her happy. if the law says you can shoot a fawn, and someone decides that's what they want to shoot, there shouldnt be a negative word said. IMHO

Quick Reply: Shooting Fawns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.