HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Hunting show gripe (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/212503-hunting-show-gripe.html)

farmcntry 10-17-2007 08:56 AM

Hunting show gripe

I was watching Primo's last night and they were letting the camermen hunt early in September in NE.
The first guy misses a buck and later on gets one.
The second guy pop's a nice buck but it's skylined standing on a hill.[:@]

I know that when I teach my hunter education classes I always tell them to NEVER take a skylined shot because you never know what's behind the deer.

txfarm24 10-17-2007 08:59 AM

RE: Hunting show gripe

Is it on video? Show them as a what not to do.

Texasimport 10-17-2007 10:34 AM

Yepper. . I have seen some pretty dumb moves on these shows too. . . last time I started a thread about some guys making a crappy/stupid shot, laughing and knowing he would likely miss, it was like I insulted some guys wives. . . .

The more I see the less I am impressed or understand how these guys, our hunting brothers are helping to promote our sport and help the antis see that we are more than a bunch of gun toten hicks. These folks are pros and thus should be held to even a higher standard, a roll model, not a Mike Vic.

It only takes one bad show to ruin it for 10 other shows.

Nathan67 10-17-2007 11:17 AM

Hey, I'm a gun totin' "hick" there guy.[>:](with a B.S. degree might I add) The antis can kiss my redneck ass anyway. You can't change them hippies minds, too ate up on LSD and pot, dreaming of some eutopian society where "a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy", according to Ingrid Newkirk of PETA.

Gundeck 10-17-2007 11:47 AM

Over the weekend I watched Tred Barta. This guy took a bow shot at a running caribou at about 45 yards. It is not even like he was standing there guaging the speed. He ran around some bushes, stopped and let one fly. Of course, he missed. What kind of example is this?? This is the same guy who went hunting hogs with homemade arrows. After his guide killed one with a gun, he "ran some tests" with the dead hog and realized he probably wouldn't have killed one with the arrows he made. This is after the hunt. Is it just me??

kingnn93 10-17-2007 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: txfarm24

Is it on video? Show them as a what not to do.
yea i agree txfarm24 totally!!

Marko B 10-17-2007 06:27 PM

Shooting at skylighted stuff...

You don't know the situation. In some cases it is perfectly fine to shoot animals like that... If you know your surroundings...

Granted... Probably not in New Jersey where the Hunter/acre is probably greater than deer/acre but not everyone hunts there.

farmcntry 10-18-2007 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Marko B

You don't know the situation. In some cases it is perfectly fine to shoot animals like that... If you know your surroundings...

Granted... Probably not in New Jersey where the Hunter/acre is probably greater than deer/acre but not everyone hunts there.
I disagree. Your shooting upward towards an animal without truely knowing the background. If you miss or the bullet passes through it could go a long ways before returning to the earth.

You could be in Montana on a 40,000 acre ranch and it just so happens that just that one day the rancher decides to ride out and take a look at the land. He spots the same buck and is just watching.
It's just very unsafe.

SJAdventures 10-18-2007 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

I disagree. Your shooting upward towards an animal without truely knowing the background. If you miss or the bullet passes through it could go a long ways before returning to the earth.

You could be in Montana on a 40,000 acre ranch and it just so happens that just that one day the rancher decides to ride out and take a look at the land. He spots the same buck and is just watching.
It's just very unsafe.
Really then you shouldn't never shoot without some kind of berm or hill directly behind and not very far behind your target. Even if it is not skylined you can shoot at a target and have the bullet skip once off of flat ground and it will be just as outof control as it would have been if you shot at a target that was skylined. I have talked to Will Primos and I guarantee you if you call him he will discuss it with you.

farmcntry 10-19-2007 03:47 AM

ORIGINAL: SJAdventures

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

It's just very unsafe.
Really then you shouldn't never shoot without some kind of berm or hill directly behind and not very far behind your target. Even if it is not skylined you can shoot at a target and have the bullet skip once off of flat ground and it will be just as outof control as it would have been if you shot at a target that was skylined. I have talked to Will Primos and I guarantee you if you call him he will discuss it with you.
Give me his #, I'd be happy to call him.
And you shouldn't shoot without knowing what's behind your target.