Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting show gripe

Old 10-19-2007, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting show gripe

ORIGINAL: farmcntry
you shouldn't shoot without knowing what's behind your target.
Exactly.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

I live in SK and I watched a show with Walkers game ears guys breaking the law badly....I emailed them and they gave me a laim exuse...
Old 10-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I watched the same show and thought the same thing...my thought was why and no way.I wounder whats behind that they dont see..
Old 10-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Host of Hosts

Another thing I notice in alot of the hunting shows is that alot of the hunters don't wear safety devices while climbing. or desending the tree. Not to good an example in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

here is another hunt'n show gripe i have....who here carries their firearm around unloaded until the second they shoot? this irritates me for some reason, i believe in being safe but this is overboard. as soon as i leave my truck, my rifle is loaded and ready to rock and roll.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is an occcurance that happens all the time and is a widely (I hate to say it) becoming an accepted shot...
Inthis months release of Rifle mag theirs a pic of an elk skylined top of a hill and the crosshairs of the scope are directly on the elk heart lung area...
I don't know how many animals are uninteintionally wounded or killed by this shot, but when I see a dead doe or illegal buck, cow ,horese etc, dead in the wide open, I beginning to wonder if this wasn't the direct cause of it....
Reguardless Farmcntry keep teaching the way your doing, as frustrating
and upsetting as it is to see, at least I know there is somebody out there
teaching good hunting laws/ethics........
Old 10-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

here is another hunt'n show gripe i have....who here carries their firearm around unloaded until the second they shoot? this irritates me for some reason, i believe in being safe but this is overboard. as soon as i leave my truck, my rifle is loaded and ready to rock and roll.
Sorry, don't mean to pick here, but many times I head out for a huntit is still too early to shoot. I don't load the gun until I can see what I am shooting. I know this can be a lot of noise at that crucial hour, but that is just me. My first hard-knock lesson on my very first hunt was watching my cousin load his rifle next to his father's truck in the dark. I am not quite sure how he did it, but the gun went off and put a round through the radiator. This was on the top of the mountain FAR from any service stations. Fortunately, my Dad's truck was there, as well. Thirty years ago and I still think about that every time I load my gun.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 AM

The other day I was watching a show where lady shot a skylined bull moose. All I could do was shake my head. I agree that these shows should be a bit more ethical and think about safety first. I don't care how remote you think your hunting spot is, until you can see nothing's behind your animal you don't know. If you get a chance to get a tape of the show, show it to your students and discuss it. Keep doing what you're doing and teach 'em right.
-- B