Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Urine

Old 10-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Urine

I have only been deer hunting a couple years and trying to learn the ropes. I am curious about how is the BEST way to use deer urine to improve your chances of getting more deer in the shooting paths.....

What is the preferred method of use for this ?

Thanks in advance for any advice or helpful hints.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer Urine

I'm far from an expert, but from my own experience, urine is often thought to be more useful than it really is.

Here's a few tips.
#1 In the early portion of the season, plain old doe urine is an effective cover scent and seems to invoke some curiosity from other deer.
#2 Doe in estrous urineseems tosometimes spook more deer than it attracts, especially in the early portions of season.
#3 I've used buck urine to doctor scrapes and had decent results with that once the scraping activity picks up. I think it may cause a buck to visit his scrapes more frequently. Doe in heat on the other hand, seems to have little or no effect.
#4 Doe in estrous has been effective for me in the past really only during the "peak" of rutting activity. However, it's still not a magic bullet. Just because you squirt some on the ground or dip a scent wick in it and hang it, don't expect every buck in the woods to show up in a parade in front of your stand.

I offered these observations/ tips because the companies that produce this stuff try and make you think that they are so good anyone can use them anywhere, anytime and have multiple 200" bucks come in to your stand almost against their will......it's simply not true.

GH
Old 10-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Find a buck that's taking a pee, shoot it.

Most of the time I use non-estrous doe pee, it gets the local does curious and bucks follow does. Non-estrous is also usually cheaper. I've never really noticed a difference using estrous pee, but I'll buy it if the price is the same and the rut is on.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 PM

You know, this is one thing I really like about these hunting forums.There are no stupid questions. I am in the same boat as you Hoosier, and these forums have done nothng but feed me knowledge (which is pretty slim about hunting at this point). When you are first learning, and dont have a mentor to walk you through the early steps it is a hard learning curve, and I think its little questions like this that make the biggest difference.