HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Public land, help? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/212169-public-land-help.html)

footballplaya 10-15-2007 04:21 PM

Public land, help?

Wondering what you guys think about walking up on deer while hunting public land. Sort of spot and stalk style. Seems like it'd be more effective this way if one knew where the deer might be or one could just follow trails. Have to be real quiet though as to not spook the deer LONG before you sneak up on them. Wondering if anyone else hunts this way, or do y'all just stick to treestands?

Criggster 10-15-2007 05:06 PM

RE: Public land, help?

I hunt the terrain and let other hunters push the deer to me on public property. Those deer are really spooky to begin with.

sky_guy_61 10-15-2007 06:35 PM

Stalking on public land is about as challenging as you can get. I got my first deer this way, and prefer hunting this way. However, I usually stand hunt until I get my first one in the freezer. I have definitely scared off many more than I have taken while stalking because there is often one that will spot you or scent you before you can even spot one. Then they snort and its over.

The thing is that they usually live in very thick cover, so it is usually difficult to spot them in the first place. If you do spot them it can be difficult to go after them in the thick stuff unless there is a good trail in there. It helps to do this in windy or rainy weather because this covers any sound you make. They probably wont be moving much in this kind of weather anyway.

I mostly only have access to public land. My only gripe is they wont let you use buckshot, which would be better in the thick cover where I know they live.

More power to you!

big rockpile 10-15-2007 06:48 PM

Do it all the time.I was 10 yards from one the other day.I was just walking along seen its Back,it was feeding never seen me.Problem is I was Turkey hunting.

big rockpile

footballplaya 10-16-2007 02:28 PM

i've heard it's easy and i've heard it's hard. The problem w/ hunting public land is I may go out, find a good spot, and then on opening morning someone else be in my spot before I am. You guys have this problem?

buck-i 10-16-2007 10:09 PM

dont really like the stalk hunters,i know its allowed and i agree with its your right to hunt this way.
man i hate seeing a hunter stalking around my treestand early in the morning.especially when they see you and continue stalking in that area even right in front of you,had this happen more than once.but its public land cant say nothing.

gpower1 10-17-2007 12:31 AM

i think of public land stalkers the same way i do as dogs running deer on private land that im hunting on. if i see a stalker i throw sticks and make noise and tell him to get the freak away from my stand. dogs on our land, im the only one who wont shoot them and then shoot the collar so they cant be tracted. on public land, the ones ive hunted at least, your best bet is to get in the thickest stuff that nobody else will touch because deer know they are safe

USAF_hunter 10-17-2007 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: gpower1

i think of public land stalkers the same way i do as dogs running deer on private land that im hunting on. if i see a stalker i throw sticks and make noise and tell him to get the freak away from my stand. dogs on our land, im the only one who wont shoot them and then shoot the collar so they cant be tracted. on public land, the ones ive hunted at least, your best bet is to get in the thickest stuff that nobody else will touch because deer know they are safe
Depends on the public land. For instance in the U.P. of Michigan it's basically all public. Now when it comes to these WMA public lands like in Ohio, I get as high in a tree as I can, and walk out with 12 lights.

My dad guides for bear in the U.P. with hounds, all public land. And I can guarantee if you shoot one of his dogs you will be very lucky to ever leave the woods.

rockytop 10-17-2007 10:31 AM

You'll make a lot of people ill stalk or still hunting public lands unless you got somewhere nobody hunts.

sky_guy_61 10-17-2007 11:10 AM

On the one hand it IS public land. One area I hunt allows horse riders there.. so they have the same right to be there as hunters do. You just have to use this to your advantage or dont hunt near the horse trail if it bothers you.
On the other hand I dont stalk when there are a lot of people there.. like on opening day. That is whenI am trying to get my first meat anyway. Later in the season I will stalk when I know how many people are there if any. Many hunters park their vehicle near their stand.. or use orange tape to indicate where they are.. so you can move to another spot. Sometimes I will talk to other hunters to find out where they are hunting.. and just pick a different spot. Last year it was opening day, and a lot of hunters everywhere. I just parked along the road, went in about 100 yds, got up into a tree and within 30 minutes I got my biggest buck ever. It can help get them moving when a lot of people are in the woods.
Sometimes I will stalk in the middle of the day.. and just hunt my stand morning and evening. This is when everyone comes down for lunch anyway. You can use this to your advantage and let them drive the deer to you.
Basically, you have to learn to adapt to the situation more on public land. It is first come first serve.. so if you dont want someone taking your spot, just get there earlier than everyone else.