Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 do deer guts ruin a hunting spot? >

do deer guts ruin a hunting spot?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

do deer guts ruin a hunting spot?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Spike

Default do deer guts ruin a hunting spot?

I just shot a doe this weekend and dropped her in her tracks about 10 yards from my treestand. I gutted the deer in that spot. I'm sure that the buzzards and other woodland creatures will eventually clean shop but is this detrimental to the hunting spot in any way? Has anybody experienced seeing less or no deer in a spot after gutting a deer?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: do deer guts ruin a hunting spot?

Generally they will be gone in a day or two. I can't say 100% but in my opinion once the crows have finished them off you're probably fine.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt on my uncles tree farm and we always bring the deer back to the cabin and hang it up and gut it there, with a wheel barrel under it! we normally wheel it to the top of what is almost like a cliff, its a straight drop about 75 feet and dump it off there! one time my uncle thought it would be funny to drop the guts right behind my stand, it stunk a little but about 2 hours later i killed the biggest buck of my life!!!! so from my experiance, you should be fine, yes it coulda been dumb luck, but like TNHagies said, they will only be there for a day or two before they are gone!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if it really makes a difference or not. I always drag mine away and then gut it in a yard where my buddy's old house used to stand. Before the 3 day weekend is up the critters have it cleaned up. Once I gut it I'll throw it in my truck or on the back of a 4 wheeler and take it over to his other house and hose it out and hang it. In my opinion it's cleaner gutting it later than in the woods then draggin it out.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:43 PM

I like to drag the deer into a field before gutting that way I can shoot the coyotes when they find the pile.

Otherwise I don't think it has much effect on the hunting.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:29 PM

i usally try to clean the deer somewhere where I can see the remains to be able to shoot if a coyote decides he wants some lunch. Gone within a day or 2 anyway so I don't see it really hurting much if anything.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

the gut pile will not bother the deer, however if the gut pile attracts coyotes or bears, this might bother the deer.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Outside of cover scents, Iprefer to keep any foreign object away from my stand.
I know they won't avoid an area with a gut pile, but they may be more alert and may not walk the same path theynormally would.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually when we gut deer, we like to go off to the side where the guts are out of the way and we will just leave them there. After we are done gutting the deer, we will put a trail cam over the remains to see what cool pics of predator animals we can get. Uusally get several pics of deer coming to investigate the smell as well. With the buck / doe urine being out and a really strong, fresh smell, the deer seem to come over...
Old 10-16-2007, 07:33 PM

Won't bother them. I have been dumping the gut piles about 80 yards from my stand since forever. The deer don't care. I have seen am lick blood trails and follow blood trails.

Quick Reply: do deer guts ruin a hunting spot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.