Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Walkie-Talkies?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:40 AM
EBB
Spike

Default Best Walkie-Talkies?

I did a search, sorry if this is redundant....
Need good 2-way set with 2 to 3 mile range that can vibrate on silent and can use an earpiece.
Thanks!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Walkie-Talkies?

Most any brand has those features now days. My first set of Motorolas had a two mile range when they came out years ago. I think they were $50 for the pair and all they did was talk back and forth. I have a pair at work that has a 12 mile range, "I think" a weather channel, vibrates, and have a ear piece available but you buy it separate. I think I payed more like $35 for the pair from Cabelas.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

They've come way down in price. PABwhntr is a great source of info on them. I would get at least a 5 mile pair, Motorola makes good ones, and make sure you have privacy code options so you don't keep picking up others when you're trying to be quiet and talk sparingly to a buddy. Keep in mind that 5 mile radios won't work too far in dense woods or hilly terrain. I get probably one mile or less out of them in the mountains, and YES, pick up people who have to be much farther away at times when I didn't have the privacy codes in effect.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougMD

They've come way down in price. PABwhntr is a great source of info on them. I would get at least a 5 mile pair, Motorola makes good ones, and make sure you have privacy code options so you don't keep picking up others when you're trying to be quiet and talk sparingly to a buddy. Keep in mind that 5 mile radios won't work too far in dense woods or hilly terrain. I get probably one mile or less out of them in the mountains, and YES, pick up people who have to be much farther away at times when I didn't have the privacy codes in effect.
Agreed. I have motorollas and I love them. The work great and are very crystal clear sounding and I have been using the for 4 years no or so. I too have the 5 mile range radios and I usually get a mile max out of them. As soon as the batteries start depleting and you introduce obstacles such as hills or trees, the range cuts down on them really quickly. On a full charge in relitively flat land (I'm in Texas) with trees really being the only obsticle, I get about a solid mile out of my 5 mile radios.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:40 PM
EBB
Spike

Thanks much.
I ordered a pair of Midlands for $55, a Pair of Motorolas for $70 and another pair of Midlands for $100 that came with earpieces. I'll mess around with them and keep what's best. I never know online what that extra money gets you, so I'll have to see first hand.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Note:

When they say they can carry out for 1 to 2 mile or up to 16 miles....they lie like a Dog!

Figure about 1/2 or a 1/4 the distance on how far they say the Walkie-Talkies say they will reach out in hilly terrain or in town!I must say that they are invaluable when your out hunting and you need to call home or talk to a fellow hunter out in the woods!I'm wondering if you could go on the Consumer Report Site and see how they rate the different walkie-talkies?I bought mine from Radio Shack and they are really nice,they use rechargeable batteries and have a charging base and you can buy the ear plugs for them which is a very good idea when your out in the woods and you don't want the sound to carry out.I use mine all the time when hunting or camping and it is compatible with other brands of walkie-talkies!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

me and my dad has used walkie talkies every time we go hunting, and the best we have ever had and never had a problem one with, is motorola!! had the same 2 for the past 4 yrs, you cant beat em...
Old 10-15-2007, 09:03 PM

I use the cobra walkies, they have a 12 mile range, and a weather channel, and personal channels, they were about $60 at wal mart. They also come with earpieces...
Good Luck
Old 10-16-2007, 07:32 AM

Sounds like hunter buy got the same exact 2 ways as me
Mine has a 8 mile range and it came with headsets and they are both rechargable with the desktop recharger and i got em a while back but i think i paid 50 or so for em at walmart

They came with a detachable belt cllips that are hevey duty to so you dont detach them by accident
Old 10-16-2007, 07:36 AM

yeah sounds like we got the same ones, mine has the desktop charger and stuff i just forgot to mention them. They are great walkies

Quick Reply: Best Walkie-Talkies?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.