HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   those primos flip cans (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/211907-those-primos-flip-cans.html)

gpower1 10-14-2007 03:25 AM

those primos flip cans

has anyone used those primos flip cans that make the sound as the thing in the can is droppin down? i used a doe bleat and have only seen one one doe when i used it. any luck with those and if so which one is the best to use?

Mastevt 10-14-2007 04:11 AM

RE: those primos flip cans

just like any other call out there, there's a right time and place when to use them. I've used them a little, as with grunt tubes, and rattle sticks. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. If your hunting an open field, I think their less effective, because the deer are looking for a visual. In thick timber, they may work a little better due to they can't see as well, but, thats just my opionion. Experts on here probably will have a completely differant view.

DBerrard 10-14-2007 04:12 AM

Very easy way to send out estrus bleats. Wouldn't hunt close to, or during the rut without The Original Can. Head on over to primos.com to see the difference of their cans.

DBerrard 10-14-2007 04:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Mastevt

just like any other call out there, there's a right time and place when to use them. I've used them a little, as with grunt tubes, and rattle sticks. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. If your hunting an open field, I think their less effective, because the deer are looking for a visual. In thick timber, they may work a little better due to they can't see as well, but, thats just my opionion. Experts on here probably will have a completely differant view.
Have to agree, even the description on their site says something about hunting where the bucks have to come into the woods and search for the doe...backs up what you said about them not being as effective in open fields.

Although last year, we called a 5x5 right up the fire-break (prolly 40 feet or so wide) to our makeshift blind.

Mastevt 10-14-2007 04:25 AM

I'm not saying it can't happen DB. It's just that if you did that on 20 deer the same exact way, you might call in 1, and that one may be just curious. but hey, if it did, then it worked right! Personally I don't use them that much, I prefer to be silent out there, but don't get me wrong, I've tried, but my efferts seem unrewarded, I don't know, maybe it's the way I sound, But it doesn't hurt to try I guess.

one on one 10-14-2007 05:08 AM

my 14 yr old son live and believes in the can. he want go to the woods during the rut without it. i use it also but haven't had much luck. he use's a buck grunt once or twice and then the can, about every 15 to 30 mins.he's killed a few small buck doing this. but this pastyear, the last two weeks (rut)he unloaded on these two,four days apart, at different locations,both bucks came running in searching.

warny 10-14-2007 06:51 AM

I use the "Original" can.I only hunt in the woods and it's worked on a few bucks so far.

Bob H in NH 10-15-2007 08:17 AM

I use it a bit, worst that's happened is: Nothing.

I did however call in one buck like he was on a string. He was going to pass at 75 yards, one flip of the can and he headed my way. Everytime he changed directions (cause he couldn't see what he wanted to see), I flipped the can again and he came towards me. Ended up shooting him at 10 yards.

N2Design 10-15-2007 08:26 AM

Last season, I turned a good buck by using the "Original". He was headed out of bow range when I used the can on him (not easy when juggling a bow). He stopped, wheeled around and came right in. It was a good day.

bryant1 10-15-2007 08:28 AM

It works great late pre-rut and in the rut. I have called up two bucks with it for sure intwo years of using it. it does work and I carry mine everytime i go to the stand.