Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I suck at gutting deer

Old 10-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I suck at gutting deer

Take 'em to the shop and hang 'em by the hind legs is easiest for me.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have never gone with the grain of the hair while gutting deer, good way to get alot of hair on the meat. sstart from the bottom and work your way up to the brisket.

ORIGINAL: sandilands

I start at the brisket. Cut down until you've gone thru the hide, put 2 fingers in and spread them out like a peace symbol. Put the blade of the knife b/w the fork made by your fingers and start going down towards the nutz or titties. Once you get to the pelvis split the hide until about 1.5" away from the anus. Cut around the anus and use a string or zap strap to tie bum hole. Once this is done you have a choice, you can either split the pelvic bone or leave it. It really doesn't matter. But if your having problems with anything I would recommend that you split....... its slightly easier to get everything out. VOILA
Here's a Q for you now. What kind of knife are you using? I hope to hell it ain't no RAMBO knife. Small is all u need. I use a schrade sharpfinger or a buck 110 folder at most....... about 3" blades. Anything more and the blade just gets in the way and you lose control. I could gut and skin a deer with a 1.5" razor blade
Old 10-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Beezer

And that is why I just took mine straight to the processor!!

Given the need I could field dress one easily enough. But, living 15 minutes from the processor and hunting within a mile of the house means I can get the deer to the truck and to the processor within 30 minutes. They pull it from the truck, hang and weigh it, take pics, gut it, skin it and even cape it if you want to have a mount. Afterward, they'll even wash out your truck bed.

I know not everyone lives in an area that they can harvest a deer and have it in the cooler within an hour. If I didn't, I'd be willing to do everything myself. I'd just rather not if I don't have to. I've only killed one deer mind you, but I only need enough from two or three to last us for what we want to eat. For any other deer I can kill that I may not want, I can just leave them under another guy's name and call him. He'll call the processor and give him his butchering orders.

I process my own deer but used to work for a processor, if someone would have brought one in not field dressed we would have laughed at em, how can you not field dress your own animal?
Old 10-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you've been screwing this simple task up for ten years; what do you expect anyone here to really say?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steelcity

ORIGINAL: Beezer

And that is why I just took mine straight to the processor!!

Given the need I could field dress one easily enough. But, living 15 minutes from the processor and hunting within a mile of the house means I can get the deer to the truck and to the processor within 30 minutes. They pull it from the truck, hang and weigh it, take pics, gut it, skin it and even cape it if you want to have a mount. Afterward, they'll even wash out your truck bed.

I know not everyone lives in an area that they can harvest a deer and have it in the cooler within an hour. If I didn't, I'd be willing to do everything myself. I'd just rather not if I don't have to. I've only killed one deer mind you, but I only need enough from two or three to last us for what we want to eat. For any other deer I can kill that I may not want, I can just leave them under another guy's name and call him. He'll call the processor and give him his butchering orders.

I process my own deer but used to work for a processor, if someone would have brought one in not field dressed we would have laughed at em, how can you not field dress your own animal?
I'm not the only one around here. Probably every fourth, according to the owner, is field dressed. In the 15 minutes it takes I can already be back with the Rancher and have it loaded up. Doesn't cost anything more in the processing, I wouldn't have to bother with it and it's that much faster that the meat is hanging in a cooler and not sitting in the back of my pick-up.

Why do people take their car through a gas station car wash that either isn't going to clean it or is going to scratch it to death? Because of convenience. They don't want to wash and wax their car if they don't have to. I personally handwash and wax my truck, you may not. I personally would rather take a deer whole to the processor and not have to bother with disposing of a gutpile or carcass, you may not.

Like I said, I could if necessary. But, why bother if I don't have to?